0-400 whitetail scope, woods, fields, low light

03mossy

WKR
My hunting is very similar and I am 100% happy with my Leopold VX6 2-12 with the firedot duplex.

Macintosh

WKR
@DangerRanger, schmidt and bender USA can install the turret for you, adjust parallax to whatever distance you want, re-nitrogen fill the scope and give it a clean bill of health. 2-3 weeks, $350 plus shipping. I just had mine done in january.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
+1 to what Macintosh said. They are very quick and efficient about doing it. I've had it done on 2 Klassic's and have been very pleased. For a 500 yard (+/-) and under hunting rifle that little BDC is a nice fit.

OP
DangerRanger
@DangerRanger, schmidt and bender USA can install the turret for you, adjust parallax to whatever distance you want, re-nitrogen fill the scope and give it a clean bill of health. 2-3 weeks, $350 plus shipping. I just had mine done in january.
Nice! But that puts me over a new one at that used price.

That’s great to know though.

kcruz

FNG
For the price and glass quality its hard to beat the Zeiss v4 in my opinion. I hunt mostly in AL in most of the same conditions as you and switched all my optics over to Zeiss this last year and it has made a world of difference during the last 30 minutes of light. It is MOA though...

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
The S&B Klassik series are probably the best overall eastern whitetail hunting scope on the market for sub 500’ish yard use. The 3-12x with P3 reticle and especially with BDC elevation turret is an excellent scope for that use.
Oh snap, Form approved!

What’s second place?

axeforce6

WKR
I’d recommend this.

KenLee

WKR
I have that S&B scope. The reticle is going to be fine in all but the worst conditions, and this is coming from a reticle snob.

You italicized “if the reticle works for you”…Compare S&B reticle to a leupold duplex. The light was much brighter for the duplex picture and it was later in the day, cloudy and dumping snow for the s&b so you cant compare the glass here, but as far as the reticle you should be able to compare. S&b at 3x leupold at 2.5xView attachment 522960View attachment 522962
I for one will say no to that thin reticle.
I'd never pay big $ for that to use same way OP will.

jonboy

FNG
I agree. I had a Meopta that had a very heavy #4 reticle in it and couldn’t understand why anyone would want anything else. It takes all kinds to make the world turn though.

Macintosh

WKR
Guess Im not following…maybe the pictures were more misleading than I thought, but the reticle is very similar to a standard leupold duplex, the thicker posts are virtually indistinguishable and the center area is just a small amount bigger (5mils to either side vs about 3). I agree its finer than I prefer for hunting in the woods, but its not so different from reticles people think nothing of using in those conditions that it should elicit a really strong response.

KenLee

WKR
Guess Im not following…maybe the pictures were more misleading than I thought, but the reticle is very similar to a standard leupold duplex, the thicker posts are virtually indistinguishable and the center area is just a small amount bigger (5mils to either side vs about 3). I agree its finer than I prefer for hunting in the woods, but its not so different from reticles people think nothing of using in those conditions that it should elicit a really strong response.

In the early mornings and late afternoon/evening, I'd likely see something in that scope but not be able to pick up the reticle.
This after identifying the game in my binoculars.
I'm pretty much relegated to 4a, heavy duplex or preferably illuminated center dot to be able to shoot during all my legal time.
I've been searching for reticles early and late for what seems like forever. Back when I was poor and hungry, I got pretty good at estimating where the center should be. I'd much rather not have to go that route again.

I've used SFP for 44 seasons so I'd probably have trouble finding FFP crosshairs on low magnification for "jump shots".
My family only hunted with shotguns so I had to get old enough to earn $ and buy a rifle and scope when I was 11. A spectacular well worn Remington 742 with 3-9x32 Armsport 😀

Last edited: