0-400 whitetail scope, woods, fields, low light

It doesn’t fit this forum perfectly but I don’t need to join another.

I need to scope a woods/cutover whitetail rifle for eastern hunting, a 3006 bar safari fwiw.

It sees stalking through old growth, sitting by tree trunks in planted pines and old growth, some blind hunting and lots of climbing tree stands in woods looking over fields. So:

being able to properly see a reticle very quickly at low power in low light is extremely important to me.

Adequate glass brightness/quality for 30 min last sunset and first light in the woods is vital.

Reliability is a must.

As lightweight as possible <25oz

I am not afraid to spend money but don’t plan on going over 1.5k. I would love to not break 1k. I have no urge to spend money if not needed.

So far my list is:

S&B Klassik 3-12 p3l
Good glass quality, good mag range, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think

credo 2.5-15
Good glass quality, good mag range, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think, reticle looks nice to me

Nightforce shv 3-10x42
Decent glass quality, enough mag, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think, everything I own is mils and I don’t want to mess that up so not happy about moa only

Swfa 3-9hd
If this has illumination like the 5-20 this thread would not exist. But it doesn’t, and I struggle to believe I will enjoy this reticle in some of my hunting scenarios. I have owned one, it is a good scope, I need last light in pines at 3x and I think it’s not suited to the job.

Credo 3-9
1” tube with very low total travel, don’t like this for dialing longer shots. Very light, illuminated mil square reticle seems well suited

Any other options I should prioritize?

Wapiti1

WKR
Nightforce SHV 3-10, Meopta Optika5 2-10, Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 or 2.5-10.

I've used the 3-9 and 2.5-10 Accupoints for many years on a couple of continents and they never miss a beat.

Jeremy

OP
DangerRanger
I’m surprised to see the favoritism of the shv when it would be a moa scope in an all mil system. It is high on my list, if only it was mil

Credo is a nod to the accu point which I’m not willing to do as it’s mil reticle moa turrets and I do dial.

Last edited:

WVHick

FNG
I’m surprised to see the favoritism of the shv when it would be a moa scope in an all mil system. It is high on my list, if only it was mil

Credo is a nod to the accu point which I’m not willing to do as it’s mil reticle moa turrets and I do dial.

The NXS 2.5-10x42 eliminates your concern of reticle visibility as it's SFP. It's also lighter than the SHV and can be had in MIL. It's better in every way other than cost but can be purchased used far under your $1.5k budget and even new right at that.

Since you have the budget, I honestly wouldn't even look at the SHV. There's no point.

OP
DangerRanger
The NXS 2.5-10x42 eliminates your concern of reticle visibility as it's SFP. It's also lighter than the SHV and can be had in MILS. It's better in every way other than cost but can be purchased used far under your $1.5k budget and even new right at the budget.

I honestly wouldn't even look at the SHV. There's no point.
Yes, the nxs ticks almost every box but the price places it within a happy meal of the S&B which has ffp and likely better glass performance while still being known for dependability(even if it’s not as bomb proof as an nxs)

What do they bring used?

WVHick

FNG
Yes, the nxs ticks almost every box but the price places it within a happy meal of the S&B which has ffp and likely better glass performance while still being known for dependability(even if it’s not as bomb proof as an nxs)

What do they bring used?
Understandable. I've owned a Klassik and it MAY have slightly better glass (debatable) but mine had capped turrets and I like to dial so I got rid of it.

I bought mine used for $950 early last year but they seem to bring $1000-1200 used.

OP
DangerRanger
Understandable. I've owned a Klassik and it MAY have slightly better glass (debatable) but mine had capped turrets and I like to dial so I got rid of it.

I bought mine used for $950 early last year but they seem to bring $1000-1200 used.
That is pretty surprising to me, I loved my 5-22 nxs but glass clarity was not its strong suit at all.

Perhaps the lesser mag ones are a nicer optical system/don’t stress that glass as much?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Of your list I use the following:

S&B Klassic 3-12x42 P3L - good FFP hunting reticle, good illumination, best glass of the bunch. Can add a BDC dial if you wish. Largest overall footprint of the 3. Reticle is visible across the range. Optically, it's the most pleasing to my eye. I've noticed it suffers from glare if light is shining on it hard from a setting sun, but that's the only issue I have with it.

SHV 3-10x42, both Forceplex and MOAR - all reticles in the 3-10 are SFP, not FFP. Illumination is pretty bright so it can help in daylight and it can hurt a bit in low light. The MOAR has a lot of ticks close to the intersection, in woods it can make it hard to pick out twigs/limbs. The Forceplex is noticeably more visible than the MOAR and quicker to pick up for me. Being second focal plane, the width between the outer bars really expands on lower powers. Even being SFP, the MOAR is a finely sub tensioned reticle so it's not seemed very bold in my use. I like it ok in the open, in the woods or against a cluttered background like the edge of an ag field, I much prefer the Forceplex.

SWFA 3-9 - one of the best FFP hunting reticles. Because of the spacing and boldness it's usable across the power range. Gives .5 mil holds that the P3L doesn't. If you're planning on dialing much this is the best fit out of the box. Glass is pretty good, to me it seems to match up well with the SHV 3-10. At 3x the view isn't the best, I use it as a 4-9 power scope.

WVHick

FNG
That is pretty surprising to me, I loved my 5-22 nxs but glass clarity was not its strong suit at all.

Perhaps the lesser mag ones are a nicer optical system/don’t stress that glass as much?

Or I'm just not super picky. I've heard other people say the glass of the NXS isn't all that either, but it is fine compared to my Leupy MK5HD, Swaro Z3, and NF ATACR. I'm sure if I lined em up side-by-side I could tell differences, but when I shoot the NXS I never think "Wow this isn't as good"

I can't see how it wouldn't be at least as good as the SHV but I've never entertained the SHV

OP
DangerRanger
Or I'm just not super picky. I've heard other people say the glass of the NXS isn't all that either, but it is fine compared to my Leupy MK5HD, Swaro Z3, and NF ATACR. I'm sure if I lined em up side-by-side I could tell differences, but when I shoot the NXS I never think "Wow this isn't as good"

I can't see how it wouldn't be at least as good as the SHV but I've never entertained the SHV
Possible. At 900 I’d give one a try I think

OP
DangerRanger
Of your list I use the following:

S&B Klassic 3-12x42 P3L - good FFP hunting reticle, good illumination, best glass of the bunch. Can add a BDC dial if you wish. Largest overall footprint of the 3. Reticle is visible across the range. Optically, it's the most pleasing to my eye. I've noticed it suffers from glare if light is shining on it hard from a setting sun, but that's the only issue I have with it.

SHV 3-10x42, both Forceplex and MOAR - all reticles in the 3-10 are SFP, not FFP. Illumination is pretty bright so it can help in daylight and it can hurt a bit in low light. The MOAR has a lot of ticks close to the intersection, in woods it can make it hard to pick out twigs/limbs. The Forceplex is noticeably more visible than the MOAR and quicker to pick up for me. Being second focal plane, the width between the outer bars really expands on lower powers. Even being SFP, the MOAR is a finely sub tensioned reticle so it's not seemed very bold in my use. I like it ok in the open, in the woods or against a cluttered background like the edge of an ag field, I much prefer the Forceplex.

SWFA 3-9 - one of the best FFP hunting reticles. Because of the spacing and boldness it's usable across the power range. Gives .5 mil holds that the P3L doesn't. If you're planning on dialing much this is the best fit out of the box. Glass is pretty good, to me it seems to match up well with the SHV 3-10. At 3x the view isn't the best, I use it as a 4-9 power scope.
Thank you!

It seems I’m the odd one out on this forum but the 3-9 didn’t seem suited to close eastern woods hunting to me, while it excelled at general western stalking vibes. I would possible order one and give it another shot if they weren’t forever backordered lol I do like them, I just wish it popped as well as the 5-20

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It doesn’t fit this forum perfectly but I don’t need to join another.

I need to scope a woods/cutover whitetail rifle for eastern hunting, a 3006 bar safari fwiw.

It sees stalking through old growth, sitting by tree trunks in planted pines and old growth, some blind hunting and lots of climbing tree stands in woods looking over fields. So:

being able to properly see a reticle very quickly at low power in low light is extremely important to me.

Adequate glass brightness/quality for 30 min last sunset and first light in the woods is vital.

Reliability is a must.

As lightweight as possible <25oz

I am not afraid to spend money but don’t plan on going over 1.5k. I would love to not break 1k. I have no urge to spend money if not needed.

So far my list is:

S&B Klassik 3-12 p3l
Good glass quality, good mag range, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think

credo 2.5-15
Good glass quality, good mag range, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think, reticle looks nice to me

Nightforce shv 3-10x42
Decent glass quality, enough mag, illumination makes the ffp reticle usable for me I think, everything I own is mils and I don’t want to mess that up so not happy about moa only

Swfa 3-9hd
If this has illumination like the 5-20 this thread would not exist. But it doesn’t, and I struggle to believe I will enjoy this reticle in some of my hunting scenarios. I have owned one, it is a good scope, I need last light in pines at 3x and I think it’s not suited to the job.

Credo 3-9
1” tube with very low total travel, don’t like this for dialing longer shots. Very light, illuminated mil square reticle seems well suited

Any other options I should prioritize?

The S&B Klassik series are probably the best overall eastern whitetail hunting scope on the market for sub 500’ish yard use. The 3-12x with P3 reticle and especially with BDC elevation turret is an excellent scope for that use.

Macintosh

WKR
I have that S&B scope. The reticle is going to be fine in all but the worst conditions, and this is coming from a reticle snob.

You italicized “if the reticle works for you”…Compare S&B reticle to a leupold duplex. The light was much brighter for the duplex picture and it was later in the day, cloudy and dumping snow for the s&b so you cant compare the glass here, but as far as the reticle you should be able to compare. S&b at 3x leupold at 2.5xC7FCFE32-5D4A-4B83-BF93-D9B11E8F6725.jpeg328AB076-95D2-4A25-A1A2-F8C828D2DC72.jpeg

Dennis

WKR
Swarovski optics have good glass and for your price point you might look at Z3 and Z5 scopes. I have never had any problems with dialing the Z5 scopes and the Z3 with BRH reticles are surely workable with ease out to 400 yards. Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 X 42 has good glass and my choice on my 30-06, but heavier than Swarovski.

OP
DangerRanger
The S&B Klassik series are probably the best overall eastern whitetail hunting scope on the market for sub 500’ish yard use. The 3-12x with P3 reticle and especially with BDC elevation turret is an excellent scope for that use.
Thanks, that’s the exact model I was looking at. Seems like that is the top of the list