Exo 5500 or Kifaru EMR2

me72666

FNG
I'm currently NOT a hunter but do see it in my future. I'm NOT a guy who needs the newest pack every 1, 2, 3 yrs etc. but am interested in a single pack that can serve multiple purposes. The initial/most common usages will be for 1-3 day hiking/backpacking/camping but I want a pack that will last for years and be ready/still relevant when I enter the hunting game. Here is more of my back story as I ask for your opinions on which of the two packs (EXO 5500/EMR 2) AND frames to chooses from.

1. I'm a big fella, 50 yrs old/6'2/325 pds top heavy 46 inch waist so comfort is a major need. I'm told 21-22 inch torso. I've already reached out to both EXO/Kifaru and they would add length to the waist belt.
2. Most common weight load until I start hunting will be between 20-40 pounds (hiking would be lighter of course)
3. I do love pocket/storage options (probably EMR 2 for this)
4. if based on what I've described as common usages, which pack would be the most comfortable for hiking/backpacking with 20-30 pds? Based on what I'e read thus far my guess is the EXO but would love additional insight and whether you think the difference to be "significant"
5. I know the EMR 2 pack/frame versus the 5500 pack/frame's weight is "approx" 2 pds heavier, but would it be worth the sacrifice to have possibly a better built frames from Kifaru (or are they better)?
6. Most usages, until I begin hunting will be in warm weather in the western states
7. Who has better warranty?
8. Any rumors on new packs or frames from EXO or Kifaru for 2017? I'd hate to spend so much money on a bag in the next 1-2 months to see the latest & greatest new bag be launched in Jan. 2017

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Last edited:
I can't really speak with a lot of knowledge on either pack since I haven't pulled the trigger on a high end pack yet. I however have done a good bit of research on them and have made my choice for when the time comes. I have decided on the Exo 5500 with the 2000 pack for down the road for day hunts. Looking at kifaru I just get a bit overwhelmed with all the options and extras they have. I'm more of a KISS( keep it simple stupid) sort of guy. I know that probably doesn't help a whole bunch.

OP
M

me72666

FNG
I appreciate the feedback fort fireman. Just out of curiosity, why do so many, like yourself want separate packs for long hunts and day hunts when packs like the 5500 and EMR 2 appear to compress down so small?

Regards,
Mark

Stid2677

WKR
I have and own both and have used them on hunts,, IMHO the EMRII with the new hunter frame is in a class of its own. Maybe if I were young, fit and strong, the slightly lighter, more flexible EXO might be a better choice, but as an older less healthy guy the Kifaru is much better pack. The CS and warranty from Kifaru is better than about any company I have ever dealt with. The EMRII is just so versatile, the center zip allows for exact placement of about any load, the straps allow for pack the compress down not much larger than the frame.

EXO 5500

P8130184_zpsdezrp8vo.jpg

EMR II

P8220384_zpshhfn6zro.jpg

P8150145_zpsge5cseup.jpg

P8190265_zpsugynadcc.jpg

Bought the EMRII with new hunter frame earlier this year after lots of research. Have used for family backpacking trip (IE I carry everything in), for day trips as a day pack hiking in the OR gorge and will be using it in a week for backpack wilderness deer trip. I have carried it countless miles with 40-80lbs of weight walking my kids around the neighborhood and mowing the lawn. While the set up I have is expensive (essentially $1000 after composite stays, small pocket, guide lid and Nalgene pocket) I feel it will be the last pack I will ever buy. Overall it is heavier then all other high end packs, but damn it is comfortable, robust, and frankly I like who works for Kifaru and what they represent. Please note I have not had the chance to handle other high end packs other then mystery ranch. Good luck in your quest.

For me I simply want the day pack because most of my hunting is day trips. For full disclosure, I don't hunt out west. I hunt in National forest on NC and Pa. I only do a usually 5 day back pack hunt in deer season in pisgah national forest and usually a spring gobbler hunt in pisgah and in allegheny national forest in Pa. Other than that they are all day trips but still deep enough I want the ability to hump out meat rather than drag a deer to the truck. Honestly I would probably use the day pack quiet a bit more than the 5500 . The 5500 would've used in the summer as well as my general camping backpack as well. It would replace my kelty red cloud 90 I have now.
I do however have a 2017 Montana elk hunt in the planning stages so I think a pack is in my future very soon.

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am glad you posted, I have been back and forth in between the exo 5500 and the kifaru emr II also. Having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
I love my Exo and it's on my back when I'm carrying my bow but I also love my Kifaru for hiking. I think you'd benefit most with the Kifaru and their best in the world hip belt. My kifaru was just as comfortable when I was a 38" waist as it is now that I'm at 32".

The EMR has 8400 cubic.. That's a lot more than 5500. I love mine. With a Guide Lid its easy to fill it for a week or a little more. Then setting a base camp you can leave all the unneeded stuff at camp and shrink that EMR to nothing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
The EMR has 8400 cubic.. That's a lot more than 5500. I love mine. With a Guide Lid its easy to fill it for a week or a little more. Then setting a base camp you can leave all the unneeded stuff at camp and shrink that EMR to nothing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't have either and I think the EMR is bigger when it's all said and done but I think both the 3500 and 5500 are quite a bit larger that what they are listed at

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most packs are reasonably comfortable at 35-40# or less. Kifaru is the gold standard for packs, though exo is not a bad option. The emr2 is huge. I have it and don't see needing to replace it ever, but kifaru always has new stuff in the works and has been giving sneak peaks on a new pack on fb and ig that will likely be out soon or they would not be showing it. I use mine for everything from back country elk to a whitetail day pack and it works very well. Exo makes a solid pack as well though I've not personally used one my hunting partner ran the 3500 for 2 years and it worked well though he recently upgraded to the 5500 for space.

I can't speak for the Exo as I haven't tried them but they seem like a solid option. I've ran the EMR-II as my go-to pack ever since they came out a couple years back. I have several Kifaru bags and most often take the EMR-II. I upgraded to the new hunting frame also. It's a bomb proof combo!

For day hunts I usually only fill the wing pockets and lid with the main bag compressed flat. Some will say that they get a bit overwhelmed with Kifaru packs due to all the options and modularity, which I certainly understand, but that's another reason I love them is because it's almost endless with the possibilities. I hate to speculate for certain, but I'm likely a lifelong Kifaru customer if they continue running the business as well as they do now.

TheCougar

WKR
The Exo 5500 bag is actually around 6700 cubic inches. Don't let the name of any of their packs fool you. I went with the Exo bags (I am testing both the Exo and Kifaru frame).

Grumman

WKR
I appreciate the feedback fort fireman. Just out of curiosity, why do so many, like yourself want separate packs for long hunts and day hunts when packs like the 5500 and EMR 2 appear to compress down so small?

Regards,
Mark

A separate pack for day hunting certainly isn't needed but I will share my experience. I talked myself into buying a used Kifaru MMR2 some time ago. I liked it so much I started thinking perhaps I would get a new pack, but I should get a one and done pack that would last me forever and do anything I would ever want to justify the spend. So I got a new EMR2 and it does just that. Compresses extremely well but expands to hold all my gear if needed. When the Apollo came out I thought it was silly, why in the world would I want to limit myself to that size pack and what purpose would it fill for me. Fast forward to now and I want one. I think it would make a good turkey pack for me and keep turkey blood off of my EMR2. Maybe you are one of the guys who can be satisfied with one pack, but for most I think the "want" eventually creeps in and we start thinking about multiple packs or trying different brands. You won't go wrong with either of the choices you mentioned. Just jump in there and let us know what you went with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

me72666

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. GREAT photos stid2677, and thanks for the sneak peak heads up live2hunt!! While I can't count how many times just in the last two days I've gone back & forth on which pack to get I will say this....although I understand those who prefer a simple pack, I do love all the compartment options of the emr 2. I'm also starting to believe the extra approx. 2+ pds the emr 2 would be would balance out with the durability/comfort. Lastly, while I haven're made a final decision yet (also need to view sneak peaks), the two things that are starting to separate the emr 2 are in as much research as I've done, including time y'all have spent to provide input, I've heard multiple references to the emr 2 as either being the last bag they'll ever need/want or it could be if they didn't fall into the "wants" category Grumman describes above. As great as the opinions are of the 5500 I've never heard the same about them. Lastly, I see the "what if" question I would be asking myself as significantly higher if I got the 5500 rather than the emr 2......"what if" I got the emr 2.

At least now with there being a strong lean towards the emr 2 (still open to hear opinions), what about frames?? With all I've described in my initial posting, which Kirafu frame do you think would serve me best? Would the ultralight frame still provide a high level of comfort when hauling 40-60 pds as the hunter and tactical frames, if not is it significant? I would be more open to getting a second frame down the line, especially when I enter the hunting game. Lastly, can someone provide a simple explanation with regard to the difference between the hunting and tactical frames.

Thanks again all for your help!!

Mark

mlob1one

WKR
I looked for a long time before buying the EMR II. I have used it for all of my excursions. I have added the guide lid, grab it 2, gun bearer (which is absolutely brilliant), a couple belt puches, & a several pullouts.
I use it on day hikes solo and with the fam, backcountry hunts both solo and with my boys, & am so impressed by the versatility of the pack. There are just a couple of things that I'd like to change because I'm a tinkerer. Bottom line, this pack is amazing. I have had as many as 120# loaded and it has performed better than I could have hoped. While I cannot comment on the Exo, I can tell you that you'll not be disappointed with the EMR II and the duplex frame. The guys at Kifaru will help you a ton if you ask.
Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
For as relatively little weight as you will be carrying, the Kifaru UL frame is plenty. The stiffer stays don't come into their own until you get north of 60#. To get more stiffness, you only need new stays (shift from the arrow shafts of the UL to the composite or aluminum stays), not a whole new frame.

I have the EMR II and like it, but it is a lot of pack. If you are not the type of guy who can only pack what is on the packing list (meaning, if you have extra space you will fill it), the excess capacity may work against you.

Kifaru is top notch in terms of quality and NOT need to use the warranty.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a pic of one of the new ones Aron posted of fb. It looks pretty slick. I'm a big fan of the front zipper.

cd2e565d0d9555cecd06d91f5b277975.jpg

Go with the hunter frame. The UL is mostly for weight weenies. You can always just pull the stays and replace them with arrows and have a ul if you want one since that's the only difference.

Grumman

WKR
Here is what an EMR2 on a hunter frame looks like when you unbox it from Kifaru:).
37f3041156a08157249a9b352f3a9b50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk