Exo 5500 or Kifaru EMR2

aion2come

WKR
Advantages of EMR is its modularity (ability to configure in different ways and add things on to it), the massive size capability, the quality of build. Advantage of EXO is it is probably the best straight forward design out there, plenty of room (will carry more than you can handle), and exceptional quality (although I'd give Kifaru an edge by a slight margin).

Disadvantages of the EMR ... tons of straps, complicated if you don't want to always be unbuckling things, weight. Disadvange of EXO, the bag isn't modular.

Just an fyi on frames... the Kifaru bags don't fit on Exo frames easily, although you can put an Exo on a Kifaru frame. Another thing to keep in mind is torso length. If you have a torso longer than 21", the Exo frame is too short if you are carrying lots of weight. Would like to see them come out with a 26 or 27" frame height for us taller guys. Personally like both frames equally well, except that being tall the Kifaru fits better. It will always get the nod for heading out west.

You won't go wrong with either one.

I am kind of all over the place. I bought an Exo 3500 just before the new packs came out and wish that I would have waited a bit longer. Now, I want a bigger pack and the new Reckoning pack with a hunting frame looks very appealing. I would use that pack for backcountry week-long elk trips and I want an Exo 2000 for day trips and overnight trips for deer. Here in California I typically day hunt for deer or maybe make a weekend trip but that's it. For elk I am going to have to take at least a week or so off for an out of state hunt and would want to carry more gear. Also, for deer hunting I am much more minimalist in terms of the gear I bring. At the end of the day I just like to test different systems so that is my main reason for wanting separate packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
Both are great and not much to add that hasn't been said. I would wait to see what new packs Kifaru is coming out with. I like the EMR II, but it's generally much bigger than I would need 95% of the time. I count ounces, so I question if I need that much pack and weight. I think the new Kifaru packs are similar in design and functionality, but smaller.

OP
M

me72666

FNG
Is there any particular time of the year that companies release new packs (hunt season, holiday season, etc.) or is is random times throughout year?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a pic they posted of the prototype new pack

ec6765132cebd3093dba8a205315cd74.jpg

They also show it and talk about it on episode 161 of gritty Bowmen