Zoleo - discharging its battery in storage?

I am wondering if this is normal for a Zoleo or if I need to get a new unit. My Zoleo works just fine in the field. Battery life is good and I can recharge it when needed off a battery pack. What I am running into is when I put it away with a full battery charge for a month or two and then take it out and throw it in my backpack. I find that its dead and needs to be charged. Are other people running into this or should I get a new unit?

Last edited:
I'm 3yrs into mine and seems to hold the charge well. Longest I've had it charged, then turned off was about 30 days. Still showed 4 lights (75-100%) when I hit the test button.

Thanks for posting. Anyone else have there Zoleo sit for longer then that? 4 months? and still have a charge when you get it out?
I would call the customer service but I have a feeling that will be a rabbit hole with few answers.

Like any other battery electronic it is good to cycle it to keep the battery healthy and not leave it exposed to severe weather temperatures when being stored. I have chosen to keep mine in the house and I try to power it on for a day then charge it up every month. I've had it 2 years so far and haven't noticed a difference in lifespan

I am wondering if this is normal for a Zoleo or if I need to get a new unit. My Zoleo works just fine in the field. Battery life is good and I can recharge it when needed off a battery pack. What I am running into is when I put it away with a full battery charge for a month or two and then take it out and throw it in my backpack. I find that its dead and needs to be charged. Are other people running into this or should I get a new unit?
My zoleo does this exact same thing. It uses battery at a surprisingly high rate while powered off. Like yours, the battery life is fine while powered on and being used. I have to turn it on every two to three weeks and charge it a little.

If you call zoleo, please post their response.

Maybe they're still running GPS while powered off?
I've had some cameras that would have dead batteries every time I took them out and found that the GPS was still on even when the camera was turned off.

All batteries self discharge over time. Each type has different discharge rates. Nimh are really fast, lithium is pretty slow.

Back