Zip-off base layer bottoms. Firstlite vs Kuiu?

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried both and can compare the two? In particular, I’m looking at firstlites Kiln zip off bottoms vs Kuiu’s merino 200’s.

I’ve been pretty happy with the Kuiu merino zip-off base layers over the years, but the waistband is a little bulky and can bunch up under layers of pants and a pack belt, etc. The elastic on them is not as tight as I would prefer either.

I’m a fan of firstlites merino base layers, like the wick shirts. Some of the return policy exclusions have me a bit leery to try something new though.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
Interested as well. I can safely say avoid the Canis Chamois zip off bottom. They have a big seam in the waist and is extremely uncomfortable.

Honyock

WKR
I haven't used First Lite but I really like my Kuiu zip offs. Whoever thought of zip off bottoms is a genius.

bpurtz

WKR
I bought some Kuiu zip offs a few years back - for me, the fit was terrible - super low ride. I even had a seamstress modify the waistband which helped a bit but I still wasn't that happy with them.

I saw a post/review on Northern Playground Ziplongs so I bought a pair - for me, they are a way better fit...

I have the 3/4 length Kuiu 145 and full length First Lite Kiln 250. I like both. I prefer the Kuiu for the zipper set-up and the shorter length. While wearing the Kuiu pair, the zippper pull is at the waist and goes unnoticed. The First Lite zipper pull is at the ankle and can dig into your lower leg bone when under a laced-up boot. The merino material is good on both. No major differences in comfort there. The elastic at the waist is not as wide on the Kuiu, which I also prefer. The FL waist band is, maybe a 1/4” wider. Not a big deal, but for the price they want for this stuff, it needs to be as close to perfect as possible. Hope that helps…

SDHNTR

WKR
Hands down, the greatest clothing advancement of our time! I have both. The FL is a bit softer.

Last edited:

bat-cave

WKR
Kuiu's are good, but I far prefer the softer material of the FirstLite's as well as the additional stretch they have vs the Kuiu's.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I actually bought Kings Camo zip off base layers bottoms and love them. Have had Kuiu, Sitka, and FL base layers over the years. I switched 2-3 years ago to kings base layer bottoms and haven’t looked back.

Plus I can usually find king’s cheaper….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have both. If first lite made the wick or old fuse in 3/4 zip off I’d have all first lite bases. Until then I’ll keep my 145 zip offs

I have the Kuiu peleton zip offs. So far they are good. No real complaints. Have you seen the Stone Glacier?

87TT

WKR
Have FL Kilns but haven't tried the Kuiu. I am very happy with the FL so see no need to try something else. The Kilns and the suspenders are the only thing FL that I own. Had an issue with a Kuiu pack and customer service so I avoid them anyway. But If they were the only zip offs around I would.

Stone glacier has a sweet set up too

And they just upgraded them a little.

I bought and used last fall and were awesome.

Just some food for thot on a diff brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I’m definitely buying the SG zip offs. Been begging someone to make zip off grid fleece

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I have both....but I can't give a comparison because I've only worn the FL once. They are thicker than I like. It's hot in the south most of the year 🤣

Lowg08

WKR
They just released them. They are on the web site

Attachments

• 357C96D1-32B3-43B8-AC8F-14B2A992C8D4.jpeg
    357C96D1-32B3-43B8-AC8F-14B2A992C8D4.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 67