Zenbivy without a tent?

Going on my first elk hunt in Colorado this fall. Most likely going solo. As I’m collecting all the gear, I keep seeing Zenbivy pop up as something that looks awesome. I haven’t looked at new camping gear in like 15 years, things have come a long way.

My plan to save on weight (and cost) was just do a traditional bivvy sack like I used in the Marines, which this is clearly not. Do yall always use this with a tent? Anyone just sleep in the open, then throw up a tarp if it looks like it’s going to rain? Appreciate any feedback.

rcb2000

WKR
The word bivy in Zenbivy is just a little misleading.
It’s a rock solid sleeping bag/quilt system, but no, this is not a bivy.

You’d need a shelter of some sort.

Unless you have a ton of experience with a tarp in inclement weather, I’d just get a tent.

BBob

WKR
Depending on where you camp early high country elk hunts can drop a lot of dew early am and soak your gear. I use a DCF tent fly that’s essentially the same as a lot of the tarps. It can be lifted for more ventilation or dropped to near ground in bad weather.

I have the Zenbivy sleep setup in the 10 degree config, and it's amazing. Not an actual bivy as was already pointed out. I rock it with the HMG 4 person tent and a half insert from them. It's ultra-light (tent and insert together I think are around 2.5lbs) Packs down super small, is completely waterproof and gives me a whole side of the tent to cook in, store gear, etc. for those days when you spend the entire day in the tent due to weather. I am 6' and with it pitched as close to the ground as you would want it, can stand up inside for changing, etc.

The other way I do this is with a tarp that has "doors". Warbonnet makes a great one in CO, and then I have a DCF one from... Hammock Gear? Maybe? I prefer the silpoly one from Warbonnet in this case. Little heavier, but also heavy duty. Hope this helps!