Zeiss Optics/Outdoorsman Tripod

ElkNut1

WKR
Aron, I see you used an angled Spotter. Do you generally use it in most situations over the straight? Thanks!

ElkNut1

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Paul,

I use and angled spotter for everything. The straight isn't bad, but I started with the angled and have gotten to where a straight would drive me crazy.

B

bearguide

that bino mount looks great, outdoorsman will get some more of my money

Is the Zeiss spotting scope optically better for your eyes then the Swaro and Leica, or do you like it better because it has more zoom?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like Zeiss better optically than the Swaro and Leica....the 75x is just a bonus.

I use the wide eye piece just about as often as the 75...just depend on the situation.

I have used all 3 and liked the Zeiss least of all. Kind of funny how different eyes like different optics.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have my Zeiss 85mm 20-75X spotter ordered. Hope it gets here by the 23rd as I have bear hunts a plenty coming up.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use it for sure, but only in situations when I don't need to grid anything out and fast acquisition is needed.

cmeier117

WKR
Aron,

One more question on the camera/spotter set-up. Do you ever take pictures through the spotter? Or do you just use the 210mm lens you speak about?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I take the majority of the photos at distance through the spotting scope. I don't use a kit or anything and just push the lens against the eye piece.

muleman

WKR
Aron,

One more question on the camera/spotter set-up. Do you ever take pictures through the spotter? Or do you just use the 210mm lens you speak about?

I have taken a lot of pictures through my Zeiss with the camera on my phone and the pictures are surprisingly good.

For the best wildlife photos a DSLR with dedicated lens will always beat digiscoping. I have been using 35mm equivalent 510mm and 750mm lenses on a DSLR with good success.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
For the best wildlife photos a DSLR with dedicated lens will always beat digiscoping. I have been using 35mm equivalent 510mm and 750mm lenses on a DSLR with good success.

Except digiscoping can get you much longer focal lengths. Also, some digiscoping setups can provide surprisingly good photos. Also quality DSLR lenses over 500mm are prohibitively expensive and HUGE.

Handholding like Aron describes can get good photos, but if you want to get good digiscoped video, a dedicated adapter is essential, IMO.