Zaleski State forest ohio

CTaylor

FNG
Just planned a short weekend trip to Zaleski State Forest mid October with the stick and string. Never hunted that area before, any recommendations ???

I go there every year, won’t be many people in October, so you’ll have a ton of room to roam.

Lots of oaks so if it’s a heavy mast year it will be tough to find em. You’ll find much more deer in the cuts so seek those out and hunt the edges. Lake hope lodge has great food! Like seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Vinton while your there, lots of thick cuts and tons of oaks, so it has decent deer numbers. I missed a good buck there a couple years back. They experiment on Oak regeneration there so it’s got tons of different oak stands with buffer cuts. It’s pretty cool

How is theeterrain? Doesn’t look to awful bad, I’d like to try southern west va bow counties. Those ridges look steep on the topo

I used to turkey hunt Zaleski in the spring. Hunted it for about 5 rears straight. I always killed my turkeys and looked at a lot of ground. I never found real big buck sign but the pictures they had at the check station would choke you.
I now lease to the North of there in perry county. The first time I sat down on a gobbling turkey there I sat right on a shed antler. Guys at the campground said it was a good one for the area but I was not impressed. It was one side of a 100 inch 8 pointer.
Deer numbers were not very high there when I hunted it but that is typical of most of ohio. Mid October there is most likely going to be a nice camping trip IMO. Weather is usually nice and foliage will be near peak. The best hunting will still be at least 2 weeks out. There is a reason the woods are full of hunters in early November in ohio.

I'm not from Ohio but I've spent some time in zeleski with my brother-in-law. It will be a beautiful camping trip! No doubt. Good luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I killed a doe there last year opening weekend of Bow. It’ll be tough, but you can shoot a buck there In October. Look for scrapes on the edges of thick areas. Definitely not impossible, especially if you get a good cold front.

It is pretty steep.

I killed a nice buck there 2 years ago, but there were a lot of people hunting but i also was there the beginning of November you should be good in October

Just found this thread. How did the OP do this fall? I’m gonna head there for turkeys next month. Hopefully get a little scouting in for deer in the fall.

Back