USDA Cabins

Cschlimm

FNG
Anyone ever stay at the cabins available to rent through the USDA Forest Service? In starts of planning a summer vacation with my wife and she’s not much a tent camper but likes the rustic idea. I’ve hunted near the ones along Jack Creek in Wyoming but would like see some new country, (scout some new land but don’t tell her!) Not picking on state or area just looking for suggestions. Thanks

Legend

WKR
Most are great but I always pack mouse traps.

Generally, the more they cost the nicer the structure. And the really good ones book up fast.

OP
Cschlimm

Cschlimm

FNG

Generally, the more they cost the nicer the structure. And the really good ones book up fast.
Thanks any recommendations on locations? Figured there’d be a good chance on guest in the cabin 😉. Been looking at dates on a few cabins and probably only be a night or two seems like it’s early enough can probably make something work we are flexible on timeline of going as well which helps.

The sites I’m familiar with book up as fast as they are opened. I was lucky to snag 2 nights in a lookout this July. I was able to finally get 1 night at a lookout last summer after trying for about 5 years.

Legend

WKR
Thanks any recommendations on locations? Figured there’d be a good chance on guest in the cabin 😉. Been looking at dates on a few cabins and probably only be a night or two seems like it’s early enough can probably make something work we are flexible on timeline of going as well which helps.
Can't give away a "hot spot" on the internet. I would just pick a state and start looking at cabin reviews. And lookout towers are a pretty unique experience!

wytx

WKR
Yep, rented few.
Having a bed , heat and in some cases a full kitchen and indoor plumbing is nice on an elk or moose hunt.