Yukon Vs Kutana Gaiters

Elite

WKR
I noticed that Kuiu is offering a lighter version of gaiters now. I was set on the Yukon ones but now don’t know which ones to buy, Will be used for sheep hunting in Alberta, Some snow in late season is common. Would be nice to reduce the weight on your legs while hiking. Has anyone used the Kutana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet but I did buy a set and try them on. They are slightly lighter than the Yukons. I have both now.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Not yet but I did buy a set and try them on. They are slightly lighter than the Yukons. I have both now.

Do you figure they will hold up to some abuse like the Yukon’s? Would like a lighter pair then the Yukon’s

Yes. They don't seem fragile. I have a pair of skre gaitors too, and they seem to be pretty good too. You might check them out.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll throw in a vote for the KUIU Yukon gaiters. Been using them for about 5 years now and they work great!!

ChrisAU

WKR
Got the new Kutana's and they have my favorite strap adjustment/replacement system I've seen, super easy to use.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Got the new Kutana's and they have my favorite strap adjustment/replacement system I've seen, super easy to use.

I just ordered a set, Hopefully I don’t regret not getting the Yukon’s, but those are heavier and I wouldn’t be concerned about weight much but strapping almost a pound onto your legs while hiking miles in sheep country would add up

ChrisAU

WKR
Follow up, I absolutely thrashed the Kutanas last week and I am impressed. They are very flexible after breaking in, put over 50 miles on mine and they were flawless. By far a favorite Kuiu piece so far. The straps look new still.

Mossy

WKR
My Yukon’s are dubbed “squeaks a lot”. Have to constantly reach down and pull up at the bottom to get rid of it for about 2 minutes of silence

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with the Outdoor Research Expedition crocodiles. They're reinforced on the inside of the legs which is critical if you're ever planning on wearing micro spikes or crampons.

banishd

FNG
I have both the Yukons and Kutana gaiters. Kutana fit is a bit tighter, but overall do prefer them over Yukon. I did manage to tear a hole in the upper shin area, as well as in my shin slipping pretty hard down a rock face. Not sure the Yukons would have faired better though.

Bump79

WKR
What's the latest and greatest on the Kutana gaiters? How is everyone liking them compared to Yukons or others?

Suera

FNG
I use the kutana, and for the climate of my area (high humidity in the morning in the plants and some snow in winter) they are more than enough, they are comfortable and light and quite resistant to abrasion. Unless you go hunting in extreme weather, I recommend the kutana