Yukon Vacation

2531usmc

WKR
My wife and I are going to the Yukon this summer. We’ll be gone around 10 days. We plan to visit Whitehorse, Dawson, Skagway, and drive the Top of the World Highway.

Does anybody have some good recommendations for historical or Yukon themed restaurants or can’t miss places to stop and visit.

We’re also taking a fishing rod or two and will try our luck along the road network. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tod osier

WKR
My wife and I are going to the Yukon this summer. We’ll be gone around 10 days. We plan to visit Whitehorse, Dawson, Skagway, and drive the Top of the World Highway.

Does anybody have some good recommendations for historical or Yukon themed restaurants or can’t miss places to stop and visit.

We’re also taking a fishing rod or two and will try our luck along the road network. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Check to see if the kings will be in at the fish ladder in Whitehorse.

The Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre in Whitehorse is a nicer museum than you would expect.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I have done this twice, it is a good trip. Your last good hotel will be in Fort Saint John until you get to Whitehorse. If you are dragging a camper or have one on the back of your truck, you will enjoy Muncho lake in the BC.

Bring a lot of Canadian cash just pull it out of the ATM after you cross the border. Once you leave Edmonton you'll need it. Campgrounds are cash only.

Nice not having to worry about rando gas station attendants on the way up skimming your credit cards.

Watch out for Ice heaves, drive the speed limit. If the speed limit drops to 40 do 40. Switch your mind to KM when you cross the border. If you have a newer rig you can switch it on your dash digitally.

Have a good camera and binoculars at the ready. I saw 26 black bears and 2 grizz on the way up to Alaska and about 30 moose, of course mountain caribou, dall sheep, stone sheep, bison, mountain goats and elk.

We must have peed on the road 80 times. My youngest kid was 1 on that trip.

Last time I did it was 15 years ago. It's a hell of an adventure. I want to do the same thing here in Europe. Drive to Nord cap in Norway. No one else in my family is interested.

We are doing the same trip. We live in Northern BC and finally decided to head north instead of south.

Plan is to do highway 4 from Watson Lake, then on to Dawson City, then a 3 day run up to Tuktoyaktuk so I can swim in the Arctic and tick a box on the bucket list (swim the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic Oceans)
Then the Top of The World highway to Tok, then back down to Haines Junction with a few days in Kluane
Then to Whitehorse with a trip to Atlin, then to Boya Lakes for a couple days, then back to Muncho and home.

If you haven't done so already, contact the Yukon Gov and they will send you a travel package, it has lots of great info https://www.travelyukon.com/en/plan...FpU518Zi7305SOLiZzn0KGjIemiIg9PhoCLd4QAvD_BwE

Pick up The Milepost, amazing travel guide for the North. https://themilepost.com/ the book is available at Amazon.

We are planning on taking 3 weeks at the end of August (yes I will be giving up part of our elk season, but want to see the trees changing, less people, less bugs and better fishing) We had planned on doing Alaska as well, but that will be another trip in the future. I can't miss all of elk season!!

Cheers

SS