YouTube Oryx Poachers Busted!

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
5 poached Oryx, 3 unlawfully killed deer and one bull elk were seized as well...... Seems like a stand up member of the hunting community.

Also, only.........revoked Piepkorn’s hunting privileges through October 2026. Kinda doesn't seem like he needs a hunting license to "harvest" big game.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
And those petty fines, probation and community service are going to stop them how? They hunted illegally. Now they'll just hunt a bit more illegal. I've known these types. They don't care. Poaching is there crack.

CorbLand

WKR
I like the part where it talks about how him doing this is kick to the sack of the people that waited a lifetime to draw a tag but then the punishment is a pay back what he received in guide fees, a few thousand in fines and 2 years loss of hunting privileges.

Well, I am off to kill five lifetimes worth of Oryx's and I will see you all in 2027.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
5 poached Oryx: 5 non-resident tags cost $8k in across the line losses to the state, not county any multiplier for poaching/trophy fines. Can't understand why the fines could possibly be lower than that for just that matter alone. I'm sure he's got some vehicles/weapons/UTVs that could be handily confiscated and sold to go towards that...

How in the world did the Missile Range not go after them for trespass?
Maybe they still will? That's a federal military compound, this was the state's charges.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
"and ordered to pay $30,000 in restitution to the defrauded hunt clients." So the guys that got to go on the hunt get the experience and their money back?

CorbLand

WKR
Would double jeopardy apply?

I know that WSMR will often (and usually) turn over game violations to be taken care of at a state level.

Sneaking on and taking ordinance and/or pics is an entirely different thing.
Not a lawyer but I dont think so. Double jeopardy is for the same charge, tresspassing would be a different charge.

They would have to turn over game violations to the state because the state owns the animals. Doesnt matter whose ground its on. State would prosecute for wildlife violations, land owner would prosecute for trespassing.

505Wapiti

WKR
As a resident here in New Mexico, this is infuriating. The most heinous crime (it’s all bad) is leaving the best wild game meat there is to waste. As my grandpa used to say, “that feller needs his ass kicked up so far between his shoulder blades that he has to take his shirt off to 💩

YMR

FNG
Unbelievable. I’m surprised WSMR isn’t prosecuting them for trespassing. They don’t take that stuff lightly.

505Wapiti

WKR
I’ve been on WSMR Stallion range twice and was scared to break wind the wrong direction when I was there, it feels like a place where you are being surveilled from above. That could just be me, apparently I’m one of the conscious cautious ones. Still amazed by the lows that people will stoop to for self validation or money.

YMR

FNG
I’ve been on WSMR Stallion range twice and was scared to break wind the wrong direction when I was there, it feels like a place where you are being surveilled from above. That could just be me, apparently I’m one of the conscious cautious ones. Still amazed by the lows that people will stoop to for self validation or money.
I live not far away and I’ve had the luck to draw a Rhodes Canyon tag in 2019 and I’ve been with a couple other people hunting out there. It’s not just you. It feels like there’s eyes on you. I killed my oryx and had a game and fish officer along with a WSMR employee show up in about 5 minutes to the kill site. Pretty crazy. Now I’m trying to draw an off range tag with no luck yet.

Not a lawyer but I dont think so. Double jeopardy is for the same charge, tresspassing would be a different charge.

They would have to turn over game violations to the state because the state owns the animals. Doesnt matter whose ground its on. State would prosecute for wildlife violations, land owner would prosecute for trespassing.

I wouldn't think so. Trespassing on the federal installation is a separate thing than poaching. I'm not saying they will pursue it but I imagine they could since one is state and one is federal.

No; different “sovereigns” and different offenses.

Since the Lacey Act was used as charge, the feds could've indeed pursued (USFW was involved).

From a state game law violation standpoint, hunting WSMR without a license is really no different than hunting in either a closed area or out of season, a misdemeanor.

Trespassing on gov't property is a 4th degree felony (same thing applies on reservations). From a state standpoint, it's a misdemeanor.

My question is that if trespassing was a charge and the complaint filed by the federal gov't and then if the federal gov't pursued as well, would that be double jeopardy for the same charge of trespassing if the state already prosecuted for that.

Last edited:

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
The crime is worth the punishment. What a disgrace. What does taking hunting privileges away from a poacher accomplish?

Sometimes it’s frustrating having a conscience.