Youth 410

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
So my daughter and I took the muzzleloader out for a walk last weekend to try and top off the freezer. On our way back to the truck she asks if when we go turkey hunting this spring, if she’d be allowed to shoot. She’ll be 8 this summer and has been tagging along on hunts since she was 5.

So this got me thinking and searching for a new shotgun as nothing I currently have would work for her. I’m thinking a single shot 410 would suffice. So far I’ve come across the CVA scout, Henry single shot, and Stevens 301. Length of pull is about the same in all 3 and I’m not too concerned on weight difference as I’ll be carrying the gun for her.

Was hoping to get some insight on those 3 and potentially some other suggestions?

410 were I live is very hard to get ammo for. Id buy her a compact 20 gauge semi auto like a Tristar Raptor compact and just give her one shell until shes older, she could shoot that until shes mid teens. I went down the 410 route with a mossberg 510, it was super adjustable LOP just ammo was a pain to find.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would also go with a 20 gauge. Something in the Mossberg 500 area, rather than a single shot. I would only go single shot if you already have a TC Encore frame or something similar.

That is what I went with for my daughter many years ago. I got the combo with slug barrel, and we enjoyed many days in the woods. It wasn't hard for her to get used to the recoil.

Jeremy

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
20 gauge wasn’t even on my radar considering her size right now. My thought process was my other two would get use out of the 410 when my oldest grows into something else. Didn’t realize 410 shells were difficult to find either. I’ll have to check out the 20 gauge suggestions. Thanks all

Jacack

WKR
The Steven's is a awesome turkey gun.

I bought one for my 9yr old son and it's been great . So good I use it for myself now.

It's taken 7 birds so far out to 42 yards all one shot. With any off the tss loads they are deadly.

Ammo isn't too hard to find just expensive. So when you find it buy a few boxes .

Agross

WKR
I bought my boy a youth single shot 410 a couple years ago. He loves it. He’s 10 I don’t see him using a 20 gauge for another year

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a rossi 22/410 for my son when he was 5 he shot it for the first time when he was 6 it rocked him pretty good he didn't ask to shoot it for a few months. He shot his first Tom when he was 7 he has taken 4 Tom's with it 15 to 22yds out he's 16 now.
My daughter shot her first turkey with it 18yds off the top of the decoy it beat up when he came in when she was 10. The other pic is her walkin with the gun cause it is light enough for her to carry she said to me now I feel like a real hunter like you dad walkin with the gun.
The gun is really light so it does kick harder then other 410s I have it has caught me in the cheek couple times. My biggest thing with them is I always waited til they asked to shoot it again never pushed the issue unless they asked if they would be able to turkey hunt I said not until you are comfortable with the gun and you have to show me you can hit where you need to.
My son was damn determined to shoot that gun my daughter wouldn't pick it up for two years after she shot it until the crossbow she had been using had to be sent in to be fixed then she was determined to get a turkey and got over the shock of the gun.
They don't have to be an expert they just have to practice and be safe I don't think there has been a missed bird with that gun yet

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20220423_143015.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_20220423_143015.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210530_201148.jpg
    20210530_201148.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
The Steven's is a awesome turkey gun.

I bought one for my 9yr old son and it's been great . So good I use it for myself now.

It's taken 7 birds so far out to 42 yards all one shot. With any off the tss loads they are deadly.

Ammo isn't too hard to find just expensive. So when you find it buy a few boxes .
Yea I’ve heard the TSS loads out of the 410’s are a deadly combo

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my boy a youth single shot 410 a couple years ago. He loves it. He’s 10 I don’t see him using a 20 gauge for another year
Yea this is what I was thinking. I don’t think she’ll be able able to handle a 20 for a couple more years and I didn’t want to risk scaring here. What 410 did you go with?

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used tss loads just Winchester or remington in that rossi I just never let them shoot past 25yds

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a rossi 22/410 for my son when he was 5 he shot it for the first time when he was 6 it rocked him pretty good he didn't ask to shoot it for a few months. He shot his first Tom when he was 7 he has taken 4 Tom's with it 15 to 22yds out he's 16 now.
My daughter shot her first turkey with it 18yds off the top of the decoy it beat up when he came in when she was 10. The other pic is her walkin with the gun cause it is light enough for her to carry she said to me now I feel like a real hunter like you dad walkin with the gun.
The gun is really light so it does kick harder then other 410s I have it has caught me in the cheek couple times. My biggest thing with them is I always waited til they asked to shoot it again never pushed the issue unless they asked if they would be able to turkey hunt I said not until you are comfortable with the gun and you have to show me you can hit where you need to.
My son was damn determined to shoot that gun my daughter wouldn't pick it up for two years after she shot it until the crossbow she had been using had to be sent in to be fixed then she was determined to get a turkey and got over the shock of the gun.
They don't have to be an expert they just have to practice and be safe I don't think there has been a missed bird with that gun yet
That’s awesome. Yea she caught be by surprise when she asked if she could shoot this year. She’s very strong willed so I figure as long as the shotgun doesn’t rock her too bad she’ll stick with it.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I always told the kids it's gonna hurt you especially if you don't hold it right but what get you the most is how loud it is. My son took his first 2 deer with that gun also but he was/is a dang good shot with it

I got my son a Stevens 301. They will crush a turkey with tss. Also came with a red dot sight that helps kids aim. He shot one at 35 yards last year. We have been happy with the Stevens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk