Your ideal glass setup

Shraggs

WKR
Those of you running 8x out west for rifle mule and elk do you ever run those solo or always bring a spotter and/or 15-18x nocs?
I’m an annual visitor hunter so account for that, but yes on occasion skip bigger if the terrain limits glassing distance. 8s still reveal more on a tripod than free hand just like bigger glass.

Focus wheels broken, eye pieces failing, getting knocked out of collimation, etc.

Having used both extensively, and currently using Swaro 15x SLC’s…. I would take the Meopta’s every time.
Since you’ve used them all, what’s your recommendation for 15s that would be less expensive than the meoptas?

Jimss

WKR
I'm on a budget but glass is my #1 investment. I sold a bunch of stuff around my house and bought the best optics known to man! Leica 10 x 42 bino/rangefinder combo plus Swaro spotter. I purchased my Leicas for a fraction of the new price via cameraland demos and my Swaro nearly new on the classified section of this website for about 1/2 price. It took time and patience to find great deals but they are a lifetime investment!

I don't need anything else for hunting Colo, Wyo, Utah, Nebraska, Alaska., etc. If I hunted cows deer I'd likely add 15x binos but don't really need them for open country hunting. I can see where 15x would be a nice addition but I'm not going to carry around 2 binos plus my spotter. 15x is way to small of power for field judging. I can find a antler tine, white rump, leg around 1/2 mile away in brush that wouldn't be possible to spot with 10x or even 15x. My 10x are ok for hand holding and there is no way in hell I'd try to hand-hold a hefty pair of 15x all day for multiple days.

Do yourself a favor and buy a bino/rangefinder combo. No need to carry both and it will really speed up how quickly you can range and shoot a critter.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Update: Picked up a Kowa 553 instead of the 15s to start. Reason being that I'll be buying really nice 8s or 10s to replace my vipers so I wanted something with the ability to zoom in.

I'm having analysis paralysis on what I want to get next though. I'm leaning towards 8x ELs... The 8x Meostar don't have the fluoride glass

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Update: Picked up a Kowa 553 instead of the 15s to start. Reason being that I'll be buying really nice 8s or 10s to replace my vipers so I wanted something with the ability to zoom in.

I'm having analysis paralysis on what I want to get next though. I'm leaning towards 8x ELs... The 8x Meostar don't have the fluoride glass

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
My 8x32 EL are some of my favorite binos I've ever owned. I have a spare set of 10x32 as well that are still nice but not quite as enjoyable to look through.

You can find some solid deals on KSL if you're willing to be patient.

wiz329

FNG
In order of importance based on how, what, and where I like to hunt:

*12x Swaros ( i love swaro 15s but liked the 12s a little more so they are my go-to)
*30x66 twin kowa spotters
*88mm+ Kowa or Swaro spotter
*10x42 meopta, swaro, leica zeiss
*15x56 swaro or meopta
*8x32 for wife, archery hunts or football games
Do you ever miss the 8-10x? I have a set of 18x + spotter. Debating whether I need the wide FOV of the 8x, and whether I'd bve able to keep the 12x steady in handheld situations.

wiz329

FNG
Swaro 12x42 NL pures
Skip the 15 power binos and get a Swaro BTX with a 95mm objective
Also get the Swaro ATX with a 65MM objective

you are then set for everything and anything
Similar question -- woul you miss the wider FOV of the 8-10x? I'm debating which set up pures to get...

wiz329

FNG
I'm on a budget but glass is my #1 investment. I sold a bunch of stuff around my house and bought the best optics known to man! Leica 10 x 42 bino/rangefinder combo plus Swaro spotter. I purchased my Leicas for a fraction of the new price via cameraland demos and my Swaro nearly new on the classified section of this website for about 1/2 price. It took time and patience to find great deals but they are a lifetime investment!

I don't need anything else for hunting Colo, Wyo, Utah, Nebraska, Alaska., etc. If I hunted cows deer I'd likely add 15x binos but don't really need them for open country hunting. I can see where 15x would be a nice addition but I'm not going to carry around 2 binos plus my spotter. 15x is way to small of power for field judging. I can find a antler tine, white rump, leg around 1/2 mile away in brush that wouldn't be possible to spot with 10x or even 15x. My 10x are ok for hand holding and there is no way in hell I'd try to hand-hold a hefty pair of 15x all day for multiple days.

Do yourself a favor and buy a bino/rangefinder combo. No need to carry both and it will really speed up how quickly you can range and shoot a critter.
How often when you are glassing are you actually ranging? Is the weight / complexity penalty worth it?

svivian

WKR
Personally no I don’t think so but I would highly suggest getting a tripod regardless if you don’t have one already.

Jimss

WKR
Once you try bino-ranger combo.....you won't go back! It's super nice not having to carry and go back and forth between ranger and binos. A few seconds could also be the difference between harvesting buck of a lifetime and watching him run over the horizon.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Standard load out
1-Leica 7x42 uvhd + on my chest
2-Swarovski 15x56 slc
3-Swarovski BTX with 65mm, 115mm lenses

Light weight load out (elk)
1-Swarovski el 8x32
2-Nikon field scope 50mm spotter with the fixed 27x eyepiece

JStol5

WKR
I'm saving up for 10x42 NL Pures and a Swaro ATC. Should cover me for pretty much everything out West. I primarily hunt mule deer and elk.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
Leica 10X42 Noctivid binos , Leica 65 spotter, Leica small range finder