Your favorite stable meat sticks?

Hello all -

What are your favorite brands of meat sticks or discs to use on an extended hunt? Sticks that do not need refrigeration and are not individually wrapped. I want to make meat and cheese packets to add to meals for upcoming hunts. The meat will have to play nice with the cheese, no fighting in the baggie.
What say you?IMG_2911.png

Azone

WKR
Anyone carry biltong? I’ve never tried biltong or pemmican. I am open to those ideas as well. But definitely meat sticks will be included.
Biltong or whole muscle jerky works great for spoil proof trail snacks. Mass produced meat sticks generally suck and leave a waxy weird film in my mouth. Pemmican has been on the to do list but I’ve never gotten around to it.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Landjäger -- It's a german hunter's sausage because it keeps w/o refrigeration. You can get some to try on Amazon. I've tried some made locally by a butcher and enjoyed it.
Myśliwska is another one. It's Polish.

Rowdy

FNG
Anyone carry biltong? I’ve never tried biltong or pemmican. I am open to those ideas as well. But definitely meat sticks will be included.
For the last 10 years I can't thing of a hunting trip where I didn't have at least 3-4 1lb slabs of biltong, it keeps well. Made pemmican and bought pemmican and can't get past the flavor and grease it leaves in your mouth.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bavarian Meats Lil Landjaegers are my favorite non-individually wrapped.

I know you aren’t interested in them but Chomps are a mile above the rest to my tastebuds for individually wrapped.

Both available at Costco. Also they both pair phenomenally with the chili roasted pistachios.

OP
Greyinggrayling
Bavarian Meats Lil Landjaegers are my favorite non-individually wrapped.

I know you aren’t interested in them but Chomps are a mile above the rest to my tastebuds for individually wrapped.

Both available at Costco. Also they both pair phenomenally with the chili roasted pistachios.
If I can unwrap Chomps before I leave on a multi-day hunt and the sticks will stay good for up to 2 weeks, then I am not apposed to them. Luckily hunting in Alaska in the fall tends to be cooler temps.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I stopped packing heavier protein sources once we developed this amino acid supplement without all the nitrates and preservatives meat sticks have. This formula also has a complete vitamin and mineral profile which most field diets don't provide. I used to carry 1.5lbs of dried meat sticks or smoked salmon, but not anymore.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those little packs of plastic toothpicks never leave my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for landjaeger. Stumbled onto it a few years ago at a local german deli. Won't head into the mountains now with any other stable meat stick.