Your favorite hunting knife?

JKE_352

FNG
3rd generation stag stocked Randal 23, most of the time. It’s too big, too bulky and not ideal so I often supplement with the trapper in my pocket or the custom fixed blade I usually have daily. I just can’t not bring it for sentimental sake.

eric1115

WKR
I've use a bunch, but this Bill Moran/Spyderco is the one I always come back to for general big game use. I've had it for probably 15 years now.

Blade shape works well for field dressing, skinning, quartering etc.

Not made in China (Japan)

Good tek lok Kydex sheath

Light enough

Good steel (I think VG10 is underrated, holds an edge well and not difficult to tune up in the field)

Not super expensive ($130ish)1000002405.jpg1000002406.jpg

I was told back in February that it would be available “in the next month or so” by whoever runs their IG page. Haven’t seen anything about it since. Hopefully before this fall🤞
Seems like they're available now on MidwayUSA's website!

Not a huge knife guy, but used to have a case sheath knife that I loved. Easy to sharpen, kept an edge, looked good. Lost it on a deer hunt about 20 years ago. I actually now have a mini version of it that I got when my Grandpa passed away but it stays in storage. Have been using a havalon piranta for the last 10 years. Just picked up an MKC Stone Goat. Seems to be a good blade and super light. They had a booth at the Oklahoma TAC event and coerced me into buying one.

Jockc

FNG
My go-to’s are a Outdoor Edge replaceable (I resharpen the blades and get many uses out of them) with that long European gut hook thing along with a folding fillet knife. A little overkill, but they speed up processing an elk for me. I have a Helle Polar strapped to the outside of my pack for general use and skinning. The Helle gets replaced with a slightly larger traditional Roselli knife when it’s really cold (they are both fairly light, but only the bigger knife is good for batoning wood and generally breaking down an animal). When it is really cold, those traditional wooden-handled Scandinavian knives are great; the birch handles don’t draw the warmth out of your hands like hard rubber, micarta, or (and here I shudder) aluminum. There’s a Victorinox boning knife in the truck, and I usually keep a small neck knife and ferro rod in my bino pack. That’s a lot of knives, but I rarely have to sharpen in the field and can get a fire going in bad conditions.

Lefjab10

FNG
Dozier is fantastic
Another fan of Dozier. The wait time is long but you may be able to find them through AG Russell, Nordic Knives, etc. They seem to have the D2 heat treating down to a science because based on my experience they hold an edge longer than most knives. I recently had to re sharpen one that was dulled due to polishing the blade and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Definitely not as difficult as some of the old Buck knives from the ‘80s…

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Really loving my Montana Knife Company Speedgoat, but any of their knives are outstanding. Pair it with a Tyto Replaceable and there isn’t much you can’t do!

MT_Fin

WKR
I’ve used the hell out of my Havalon, so probably that one. Though it’s drawn blood from me a few times too. Because of that I am thinking about trying the new Hogue Expel Folding scalpel.

I also really like the MKC Jackstone. Not perfect, handle could be more full, but works great.

IMG_4155.jpeg

Honorable mention to BM Steep Country which is great as well.

MtnW

WKR
Love my Randall Made Knives Pathfinder 26 carbon steel. Holds a edge as well as any knife I have owned. Can take care of a elk and deer on the same hunt without needing to be sharpened . I basically got rid of all of my other hunting knives and use the RMK 26 Pathfinder. Every couple of years it makes a trip back to FL for a factory edge.
MtnW

Opia

FNG
if you had to chose one knife to take hunting with you what would it be? Or do you take several? I’ve always used the outdoor edge replacement blade type knives but they don’t have much backbone. Any recommendations?
If I could only take one it would be the Benchmade Steep Country. I own two of the original versions but either model will do you just fine. S30V steel holds a great edge and the knife works great for camp chores or making kindling if need be. I haven't run into any problems breaking down animals with the steep country. I picked up the Benchmade Puukko a few months back after it was discontinued and want to take it into the field this season for hunting. It's made more as a bushcraft knife but looks like a nice all purpose blade for hunting and being in the backcountry.

Attachments

• 20231112_111027.jpg
    20231112_111027.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240901_211933_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_211933_Gallery.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 23
Kershaw Deschutes.

I did not know any better when I bought it, but the blade stayed sharp through 2 hunts. And the handle is the closest I've ever used to non-slip even when being elbow deep in a hog carcass.

I received the Benchmade Hidden canyon with my RMEF membership a year or two ago. I thought it was pretty neat and tried it in the field and loved it. I carry that and a little sharpener and it very quickly replaced my outdoor edge, I don't think I'll ever go back after experiencing a really great knife in the field.

Wapato

FNG
I was given a benchmade altitude a couple years ago and I love how light it is for backcountry hunting, but it isn’t the most comfortable knife to use for very long time periods. I may try wrapping the handle in paracord or something to try to make it more comfortable.