Yeti Purchases Mystery Ranch

taskswap

WKR
I’m running a hopper bag on my guideline MT frame. Is this enough beer capacity to keep me drunk for 5 days in the elk woods?
Yes but to keep them COLD for 5 days you'll need to upgrade to the rotomolded Guide Heavy frame. It'll weigh 27lbs and be bigger then an elk head but you won't notice because you'll be too blasted from pounding a suitcase of Natty LIte at altitude.

OP
C

CroMagnum

FNG
Yes but to keep them COLD for 5 days you'll need to upgrade to the rotomolded Guide Heavy frame. It'll weigh 27lbs and be bigger then an elk head but you won't notice because you'll be too blasted from pounding a suitcase of Natty LIte at altitude.
🤣😂

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Or hate a company (Yeti) just because you can’t afford it.
Or hate a company because one’s style of hunting doesn’t justify the need. It’s probably safe to say that most Yeti bashers take an overnight or weekend trip, and therefore, any cooler will do. They’ve probably never been in remote areas for a week, in warmer temperatures, and it’s a 3 hour, or more, drive to the nearest available ice.

Sounds intense. Makes me wonder how anyone could have ever hunted or ventured into those areas before the invention of the Yeti cooler.....

Flyjunky

WKR
Sounds intense. Makes me wonder how anyone could have ever hunted or ventured into those areas before the invention of the Yeti cooler.....
The same can be said for range finders, guns, high end bino/spotter, clothing, etc.. I’m sure you don’t own any of those higher end items. It’s always comical when people complain about how expensive a product is that they don’t use but then tell others to get a $2500 gun, $2000 scope, $600 backpack, $2500 binos, $500 sleeping bag….amazing people killed animals with anything less expensive.

We run 5 day, 45 mile, float trips in the middle of summer and I can promise the more expensive coolers make a difference when it’s 100 degrees and you have no option to refill ice.

Technology makes a difference and most of the time that comes with more $$.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
Isn’t it easy to pick out FNGs trying to get thier post count up, or Yeti bashers?

Swamp Fox

WKR
I was never impressed with Yeti's ice-holding compared to upper-end Igloo, etc. and definitely not for the money.

Carolinas. "It's not just the humidity, It's the heat and the sun." LOL ---Some of you will get that. 🙃

The best "regular "coolers have worked for me in direct sun all day long.

Now, if you want to beat a cooler with a hammer after you've had a few, or are liable to throw one out the back of your pickup going 60 in whatever state of sobriety or non-sobriety, then yeah, roto-molded has an advantage.

Since roto-molded became more accessible after the initial virtual lock that Yeti had on it, though, the market for that kind of "drop test" ----:rolleyes: LOL---- has gotten a lot tighter.

But coming back to ice-holding: Yeti = Meh.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Isn’t it easy to pick out FNGs trying to get thier post count up, or Yeti bashers?

I’m neither really. Just thought it was a little dramatic that’s all.

The same can be said for range finders, guns, high end bino/spotter, clothing, etc.. I’m sure you don’t own any of those higher end items. It’s always comical when people complain about how expensive a product is that they don’t use but then tell others to get a $2500 gun, $2000 scope, $600 backpack, $2500 binos, $500 sleeping bag….amazing people killed animals with anything less expensive.

We run 5 day, 45 mile, float trips in the middle of summer and I can promise the more expensive coolers make a difference when it’s 100 degrees and you have no option to refill ice.

Technology makes a difference and most of the time that comes with more $$.

I own about 6 different Cordovas. Far superior product to the Yetis that I owned and sold. Just doesn’t have the cool kid street cred I suppose.

Mojave

WKR
I have 3 roto molded coolers from companies other than yeti. They are all 50 quart and I have $150-250 in each one. 1 is from costco, the other two are from Rtic. I do not see a difference between them and the Yeti or anyone else.

I have 12 of the Kids yeti cups, and a couple of regular 32 oz yeti cups, and I have another 8 or 10 32 oz stainless cups from other people. Again I do not see a difference.

Yeti is a corporate company, nothing wrong with buying from the other companies. There are quite a few Veteran owned companies as well.

Marble

WKR
Marble, I know your are right regarding the "don't be so quick to judge" kinda thinking. However, what percentage of the time does this type of deal result in a better or more affordable product? Just about never... I know there are a few exceptions, but I'd guess the average user of any product following this kind of buy out will say it was a loss for the user 90+% of the time after a couple/few years. Take a guy who poured his heart and soul into a company and the products they make for a long time and remove him from the company and replace him with a group that is concerned most about profit margins and it's probably not going to be a net gain for the user. JMO on this, but you are definitely correct in that only time will tell...

Oh I totally get it. I'm the president of a 40 year family business. If we were to sell, most likely it would be purchased by a corporation and it would be ripped apart. I don't want that. I want my employees (25 familys) to keep working for me for decades. We almost sold, but I decided to come into the business mainly for this reason.

To me, the merger doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But I, and no one else here, really knows what the top people at Yeti know and think about Mystery Ranch's products. They may have someone on the board that is an avid backcountry hunter driving this, or maybe it's just bigger business swallowing smaller business...time will tell. I suspect it's the latter situation.

It doesn't help for me to worry or be critical of the merger. I think that having a positive attitude with an optimistic outlook is generally a much better mindset than immediately going to the negative.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I disagree. I don't know the original owner but I am sure he too was concerned with margins. I see many comments in here that scream the romanticized viewpoint of the " I had it before it was mainstream", " isn't quite like my old xxx".
I fully understand some products are ruined by commercialization. I doubt this will be one. I think in the scenario you describe above and the person below mention, I'd be more worried if yeti was already in the hunting pack game and bought MR out as competition and continued to push their products exclusively and shelved MR. I see this as a potential positive.

MR was already on camofire every week. How much worse can it get?
And to add to this a little bit. I look at my numbers everyday and have a fairly in-depth report, followed by an hour long meeting every month to go over numbers. The business comes first. My employees are the most important thing in my business, but without a continuing growing profit, I would eventually lose the business and thus, all of my employees.

Any business owner not intimately involved in their numbers, will not be an owner for long.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
Glad I just bought a new MR last August, Should last me for years. Will see how things shake out with Yeti.