Yeti Go Box / Rugged Cases / other options?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at buying my son a trunk/tote thing for something we're doing. I'm good spending some money on it as the intent is that it will last for years. I'd like something in the 60L ish size.

Here are two options I've come across so far. It does seem the 60 go box has some latch pin issues.

Cool idea. FWIW I wrecked a few Plano versions. I have had good luck with brute totes but those are a bit of a different animal and break if you try hard enough. For smaller gear, I have become fond of dewalt tough system boxes although I think they could be tempting to thieves. I liked them enough I got their 63 liter rolling tool box. Glad to have the wheels because it can get heavy.

for flying, I have a boat of a double bow case I use as a load out box and it is easy enough to fly with As long as I manage the weight.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Roam makes some great products. Very durable. Haven't tried the Yeti box yet, but may order one in the near future.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Costco coho is an option
I looked and it seems that all they have now are the coolers... Kinda a bummer this looked like a great option

Action packer is pretty tough to beat.
I looked at that too. I may be switching from my cheap totes to those now. For this one I'm willing to pay for some aesthetic. This is going to be part of a coming of age thing for my son. The goal is to have a place in his room that he can start storing stuff. I'm hoping when he's 18 and ready to leave home, he takes this with where ever he goes. I'm figuring its gonna have some books we go through, items that signify things we did together and some gifts(knife to start).

92xj

WKR
Build a nice wood chest with his help. That’ll mean way more. Plus, he’ll be able to use it as furniture in college and his first apartment. It’ll impress the lady folk and then you’ll be a granddad. So, plastic gross tote it is.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Build a nice wood chest with his help. That’ll mean way more. Plus, he’ll be able to use it as furniture in college and his first apartment. It’ll impress the lady folk and then you’ll be a granddad. So, plastic gross tote it is.
I'll drop him off at your house and let him build one with you.

rcook10

WKR
I've had a yeti gobox 30 for about 2 years for a kitchenbox for truck camping, boat trips etc. It has been bomb proof; it has been dropped in rivers and come out dry inside, fallen out of my truck both open and closed and never broken, been used as a chair, table, step stool and more. I don;t know about the smaller or larger but i've been super pleased with mine.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Been using the Yeti 30 Go Boxes since they came out and will be adding the new larger size this season.
Mine have been bouncing around in the back of the truck for 12,000-15,000 miles every fall and I have not had a latch pin or anything else fall out.
They keep everything dry and dust free unlike all the other options I have tried. Not cheap but they work as described.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t overlook a dewalt tough chest. Very happy with mine. Haul all sorts of stuff and have yet to have it fail in the back of the truck, even in some pretty extreme rain.

Last edited:

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
The Milwaukee packouts are very hard to beat as well. I’d take a variety of those over the other two options albeit the yeti and roam are very nice. The packouts might be the best built modular system out there. Problem is once you start collecting them it’s hard to stop

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
following. I’ve been looking for something better than the Plano trunk I’m using. The yeti and roam both look nice but i wonder if it’s better to just get another cooler at those prices

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
The yeti 30 go box is one of my favorites. Use it as camp kitchen for solo adventures. Strap it to the raft on overnighters, easily accessible throughout the day. The 60 is on my list. Only thing comparable imo is a pelican box. Great gift idea!

I love my yeti 30. It helps me keep all the small items I have organized. The only thing I switch out is what ammo I am carrying on a hunt. It really holds a lot of things. its too small for any clothing but holds everything else . Too much to list. I like to keep it in rear drivers side seat in my truck. Easy access for all the small items I carry in my pockets during the day. I unload my pockets after my hunt and reload them in the morning. Everything I need is always in that box. I graduated up from a 10 gallon brute tub that worked just fine but didnt offer the same level of organization. I could probably get by with a yeti box tray in my old brute tub. But the under the lid storage on the yeti box holds a lot of things like targets, licensing from different states , batteries and scope goats.
I am thinking about a new 60 but really everything I need it for fits in the 30. I think I would just pack more junk I don't really need. Just heavier and bigger.