Yet more rain gear opinions (apxg2 vs sitka)

I have narrowed my choices down to 2 options. The Sitka stormfront lite or russell apx2 l5 cyclone. There are things I dislike and like about both. The Russel I like the price and how quiet it is. The weight of it is both a plus and a minus. It seems heavy enough that if I got my main pants wet I could put a base layer on with them wear while my pants dried. Obviousley the other side of that is they are heavier. Im also not sure how easy they would be to patch. The Sitka I like how light they are and they pack up so small. They also seem like they would be easy to put a patch on if I got a small tear. They also seem to stand behind the product, if it failed they would send a new one it sounds like. Not sure how russel is with this. I have heard mixed review about sitka ripping easy? Mostly with the pants. I was looking on some input from people that have used both or at least expierence with one or the other. I can get the price down to aboth 30-40 dollars between the 2 different brands so price really isnt a factor. Finially I would love to get the kuiu but 530 bucks isnt an option. Thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
One thing worth pointing out is a fact about the apxg2 set. It has a brushed face as you know, while it does quiet it down some that comes with a penalty (other than weight)

On brushed face breathable hardshells the brushed face can become saturated with water and not allow it to breathe when its really soaked. It also takes a little while longer to dry out then a hardshell without a brushed face like the sitka or kuiu. That apxg2 stuff will keep you dry though i can assure that!

Just something to keep in mind.

OP
pyroducksx3
Yeah Im so on the fence between these two. Only a couple things are holding me back from going to the sitka and that is how durable it is (mixed reviews) and I have heard it isnt anymore breathable than the russell. I think I know what Im getting with the russell and its drawback. I am confident it will work, have heard its durable. I know its heavier and doesnt packup as well. With the sitka Im just not sure how it performs.

Last edited:

Mike P

FNG
For you guys with the Sitka lite rain gear how has is performed? Does it wet out at some point or is it good for extended periods?

thanks

Mike

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I'll preface this by saying I don't have any experience with the russel except for what I've read on the web... My experience with Sitka Stormfront lite is just beginning as I just picked up the pants about a month ago, but haven't had the chance to try them out.

However, I've mainly been using Cabela's space rain rain gear and some gore-tex paclite with a brushed finish, depending on weather and terrain conditions, and how much weight I wanted to carry. I live in AZ and while we don't have a ton of rain, I think most of the rain this state gets is when I'm out hunting...

For me, these things are important in raingear: waterproofness, breath-ability, and weight. Durability so far hasn't been an issue. I told myself I'd never buy another set of raingear without pit zips for the jacket and full side zips for the pants. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for those features, because otherwise, I tend to not use my pants unless absolutely necessary and when I put rain gear on I'm usually sitting waiting out a storm because I'll be soaked from sweat if I'm moving, even with good breathable raingear unless it is pretty cool out.

I'm looking forward to the full zip stormfront lite pants. They are still light enough and I went with these over KUIU based off the price and the historical amount I normally wear rain gear pants. I will pass on the stormfront lite jacket just because it doesn't have pit zips...

So, not sure my reply helped much, but ventability might be something to think about as well as breathability, if it matters to you. The full side zips of the storm front lite pants also helps with accessing pockets in your pants underneath the rain pants.

Good luck in your decision.

Ron

OP
pyroducksx3
The regular storm front jacket has put zips and isn't that much heavier but at 200$ more expensive, it doesn't make sense to me. I just can't understand how that jacket is almost double the price of an already overpriced jacket.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd get a KUIU Chugach Jacket and scour eBay for rain pants. I picked up some of the Patagonia MAR rain pants a year or so ago and see a variety of other pants out there. That Chugach jacket is pretty darn nice and you can get pants for less than $100 if you search eBay.. Just a thought...

OP
pyroducksx3
I agree retail jacket to jacket the Kuiu jacket is better. I can get the Sitka stormfront lite pants and jacket for what the chugach cost though, may still consider that option as the Kuiu is said to breath better and has pit zips.

B

bearguide

i have russell and i really like it , very tough / i have not tried sitka /for lite rain i like space rain

OP
pyroducksx3
How are you liking that chugach jacket, Im sure you got it by now. Can't wait for the attack pant in major brown to come in stock.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like it alot. Is higher quality then anything iv ever had. Its a liitle load, not as loud as the sfl stuff though. Definetly quiet enough imo to bowhunt in if its needed (if its really cold and windy, or raining)

Its really stretchy which is nice, also the sleeve cuffs rock. Pockets are nice, and pitzips are great! The hood is also very nice and adjusts very well.

I cannot comment on the breathability or waterproofness yet, but given its reputation so far i am not too worried.

Its also very very light, and packs down very small. And man is that camo sharp!

Iv already preordered my attack pants in vias. Cant wait to get them, it sure would be nice if they somehow got to my door by next wed for a shed hunting trip i have planned.

OP
pyroducksx3
So it turns out sitka is discontinuing the storm front lite line and coming out with a Dew point line. The good news is its a new matierial thats supposed to lighter, quiter and stronger. Also the jacket will have pitzips. Bad news is the price point went up 100$ per piece on the jacket and pants. So Sitka is not as attractive as before, even with my discount it puts the stuff just a little cheaper than the Kuiu. So I may go Chugach Jacket and some other brand pants for this year. I would save a 100$ going sitka and they have a lifetime warranty on the gear so all theres that to consider as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
Customer service and warranty are one reason i went with kuiu, iv heard some bad stuff about sitka. But itd be nice to hear the specs on thier new lightweight rainwear. Did they tell you what its made of?

Mike P

FNG
for those with the sitka stuff...how does it fit? I wear a large in sitka jackets but worry if i buy the large Stormlite it may not allow much under it. I found the pants and jacket for a really good price but they only have large or else i would just go with the xl jacket.

thoughts?

OP
pyroducksx3
Well I may be back on the Sitka train found sfl pants for 99$ on super sale too bad they didn't have my size in the jacket. With the new dew point coming out and my discount I'll only be 10 bucks more expensive than if I'd ordered sfl from Sitka and I'll have pitzips. It only puts the chugach jacket 50$ more expensive though. If I go the whole Sitka route I'll be over 200$ cheaper on rain gear than if I'd gone Kuiu. And mikep from what I have heard Sitka is athletically cut so if you wear a xl or even a l the l would fit tight. I'm on the border of the sizes and that deal is awesome but for the wrong size it doesn't doesn't help me, I need the xl. If you have a cabelas of Sitka dealer nearby go try some on before you order

Mike P

FNG
size

Yea the large in Sitka Jetstream and 90% fit me nicely but i think if i get the rain gear in Large i will be tight if i have much under it.

The KUIU rain gear fits nice in that it is a little bit bigger so i fits into the whole layer process.

Also found this stuff and may swing by MEC to check it out...

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensC...RD~5024-353/mec-alpine-ally-2-jacket-mens.jsp

The weight is nice and its 3 layer as well similar to the KUIU

garrenj

FNG
I picked up the Chugach jacket before last season and was very impressed. Wore it for a week during muzzloader elk season in hard rain and snow, never got wet. Seemed to breath extremely well, and the pit zips were pretty awesome to have. We were hiking between 5 and 7 miles a day generally. I have to say the spindrift is my favorite piece from Kuiu so far. Although the attack pants I just got look pretty awesome as well.