Yet another grizzly attack in Montana

Beendare

WKR
I wonder how many of these bear attacks we DON'T hear about?

Last itme I hunted that Yellowstone ecosystem area we were kicked out of an area because a bowhunter had wounded a Grizz.

I checked with F&G and forest service along with local news- no report, no info.

Cbum

FNG

Last itme I hunted that Yellowstone ecosystem area we were kicked out of an area because a bowhunter had wounded a Grizz.

I checked with F&G and forest service along with local news- no report, no info.
I'm sure lots of encounters aren't released to th public, I'd be interested in seeing those metrics

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm sure lots of encounters aren't released to th public, I'd be interested in seeing those metrics
Kind of like negative lion encounters. I learned last week for it to be considered a lion attack it has to do bodily harm to you. If it stalks you and you kill it before it tears you up, it doesn’t get recorded as such.

Cbum

FNG
Kind of like negative lion encounters. I learned last week for it to be considered a lion attack it has to do bodily harm to you. If it stalks you and you kill it before it tears you up, it doesn’t get recorded as such.
If that's the standard for recording I wouldn't trust any metric, very unfortunate to hear! How do you get the data on this?

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it hurts his case that he only injured the bear and FWP were the ones who dispatched it.

I think a few, especially those that don't result in a dead bear at the end of the blood trail.

I just checked Wyoming G&F reports for the last few years and just the bears Game and Fish "removed" from the population due to livestock or human conflict were:
2021 - 30
2022 - 15
2023 -14

Add any other bears killed in self defense to those totals, and I think it shows there are plenty of Griz to go around in the GYE.

Edited: to clarify that these were grizzly removals, not bears in general per the WG&FD Grizzly Bear Management, Catures, Relocations, in Northwest Wyoming annual Report.

t_carlson

WKR
They won't prosecute him for this. If there's any reasonable self-defense justification, the feds leave it alone. Not worth their time. You'll never get a conviction if a bear is acting even remotely aggressive with a local jury in the west.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If that's the standard for recording I wouldn't trust any metric, very unfortunate to hear! How do you get the data on this?
Fantastic question I don’t have a clue, would be interested to see those numbers, I’d guess a few dozen every year