Yamaha or Honda ATV Recommendations

Beendare

WKR
If you want Yamaha or Kawasaki in Ca- nope, they don't sell those in Ca anymore- they don't meet the emissions.

I had an old Honda Rancher and just bought a new Polaris sportsman 570. Everything about the Polaris is better...and it was $3,000-$4,000 cheaper than the comparable Honda Rubicon.

The Hondas are bulletproof...but all of my friends with Polaris say as long as you don't race or drown them in 3 feet of water- the Polaris is bulletproof too.

I would go with a Honda. I have had a 420 rancher for several years and have down nothing to it but change fluids. It’s a solid rear axle though.

I also owned a 660 grizzly prior to the rancher. The grizzly did need more maintenance over the years.

I was unsure of the electric push bottom shift on the rancher at first but I got used to it. if I were gonna buy another I would look for a Honda that also had a foot shift though. If you are ever holding something while riding it’s a pain or impossible to shift it with push button only. I also wanted a machine that I could hold in gear. The Yamaha clutch I did not like. It used a lot of fuel and seemed to need more rpms at all speeds. It was also 240cc bigger.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Owned a Yamaha and several Hondas - very well built! Can't go qrong with either.

Admittedly I use my bikes lightly and over maintain them lol!

Hate my Polaris. Cheaply built, unreliable just the opposite end of the spectrum.

Jmhunt_13

FNG
I got the 550 and 660 older grizzlies and they are great. Tons of power, run cool, and are very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

575 ELK

FNG
I bought a new Honda Foreman 450 in 2003 . I keep up with the little maintenance it requires and it runs like it did when I bought it. Great ATV. I would buy another Honda in a heartbeat!

I have owned most brands over the years...still have my 1999 Honda Foreman....bullet proof utility 4 wheeler. I currently also own a couple Kawasaki Mule UTVs....really like them but can't beat a Honda!

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you can beat the Honda for reliability. I know you didn't mention a SXS but I would encourage you to check out the Honda Pioneers. I have a Honda ATV but rarely use it since I bought the Pioneer. It is so much more comfortable and more of a workhorse than an ATV with the bed and bench seating. They can't be beat for hunting or using around the farm.

IW17

FNG
Any of the big four jap brands are gonna be solid. Can am is expensive both to purchase and maintain. Polaris sucks. If I were you I'd decide what size motor you want, and what features, then just shop around for the best deal. You'll be happy with any of those four.

I don't think you can beat the Honda for reliability. I know you didn't mention a SXS but I would encourage you to check out the Honda Pioneers. I have a Honda ATV but rarely use it since I bought the Pioneer. It is so much more comfortable and more of a workhorse than an ATV with the bed and bench seating. They can't be beat for hunting or using around the farm.
I tried a Pioneer 700 UTV but it was the 4 seater and I didn't like that so I sold it. I agree, I use my UTV's much more than the ATVs.

1998 Yamaha big bear 350 - finally lost the valve seals last year, just rebuilt the top end, still chugging.
2000 Honda Rancher 350 - 4800 miles, never had a issue with it except c/v boots, but that is my fault.
2013 Honda Foreman 500 - 3500 miles - and about 3000 of those are Alaskan alder and swamp miles in 1st and 2nd gear - still trucking.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either, but I am partial to Hondas, that rubicon is a pretty sweet machine. My buddy has one and the power steering and ride is dang nice. Have had half a moose across the racks and she got us out.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
We had an older Yamaha quad that burned up in a fire this week. I need to replace it, and I’m either going to get a Honda or another Yamaha. Our Yamaha was simple and bulletproof. I would like to get some recommendations, particularly on Hondas. We will use it for work around our property and for hunting. I have kids that will be driving it, so it needs to have power steering or be light enough that my kids can manage it. Must be 4x4, and have enough power to get out two people in a pinch. I don’t care about top speed, performance, etc. just looking for complete reliability, drivability for my wife and kids, and capability/comfort for hunting - EFI and IRS is a plus.
For Yamaha, I am looking at a Grizzly or Kodiak with EPS, 550/660/700.

For Hondas, some type of Rubicon or Rincon. I know zero about the Hondas, other than overall reliability, and how they compare to a Yamaha. I am sure I’ll be fine with either one, but your recommendations are welcome.
I own a 17 Rubicon 500 with power steering, and 21 grizzly 700. The Honda is more geared towards hauling/towing/working. Power steering is awesome on any machine, also have the DCT transmission, if you want to go on long rides at steady speeds, much better than a belt transmission.

The yamaha has way more power but better suited to trail riding and playing. The suspension is much softer than the Honda

elkguide

WKR
Honda Foreman owner here. Between my hunting/farming buddies we have had a lot. Great dealer that keeps us in tires and fluids. The only issue that I have seen (since the '85 Big Red days) has been a couple of starters and batteries. Change the oil and go. I still have a 2006 Foreman (that my teenage grandsons have been trying to kill) but I spend most of my time in my Pioneer.

SloppyJ

WKR
Every single Honda I've ever owned has been beyond bullet proof. I raced a 400ex and a 450r back in the day. I've owned plenty of utility models and my family has plenty more. They all just keep going.

Tmac

WKR
Have had a Honda ATV, the 300 4x4, for over 20 years, it’s still going strong. Has the foot shifter tranny, been rock solid.

Bought a Honda Pioneer 520 a year ago, really liking it so far. I can get it about anywhere my 300 goes at it’s 50” wide. I like the seatbelts and roll cage. I can manually run through the gears with the paddle shifter or just let it run like an auto tranny.

So for me, Hondas, as I do not like CVT tranny’s.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Have had a Honda ATV, the 300 4x4, for over 20 years, it’s still going strong. Has the foot shifter tranny, been rock solid.

Bought a Honda Pioneer 520 a year ago, really liking it so far. I can get it about anywhere my 300 goes at it’s 50” wide. I like the seatbelts and roll cage. I can manually run through the gears with the paddle shifter or just let it run like an auto tranny.

So for me, Hondas, as I do not like CVT tranny’s.
What is the ride like in the Pioneer?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
There are some benefits to UTVs but how do they compare ride-wise? The ones I’ve ridden in before are slower, with less terrain capability, less clearance, and the ride is really rough compared to a nice ATV.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve got both the Yamaha 550 grizzly and Honda foreman 400. I loan the Honda out and ride the Grizzly mostly because the ride is much more comfortable on the Grizzly. The Grizzly is louder and faster. I’ve repaired the Electronic shifting twice on the Honda.

Buddha

FNG
when upgrading from my old 1995 yamaha 350 big bear 4x4, i really wanted a honda. but I couldn't find one that fit in my pickup bed. I bought a yamaha kodiak 450 4x4 power steering because it fits in the bed with the tailgate up.

Tmac

WKR
What is the ride like in the Pioneer?
Surprisingly good considering its relatively moderate suspension travel. It does not float like my SIL’s CanAm, but that thing has a foot or more of travel I believe. So basically if I made a list of gripes, the suspension would not be on it as it does fine and does not beat me to death.

Leg room is really my only issue, and after a few rides getting used to it, it’s really is not an issue anymore. I’m almost 6’1”. I thought top speed would bother me, but it does not. Much over 35 mph and it feels a little squirrelly. I rarely go much over 25. Basically trade offs for a smaller more maneuverable machine that can go on 52” width restricted trails and fit in a pickup bed.