XLR Element or MDT HNT26? A 10-point comparison...

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have seen a lot of questions about these two chassis systems. What I haven't seen is anyone that has had experience with both of them and put together an objective and in-depth review or comparison. So I did...

https://exomtngear.com/chassis

Both chassis are, without a doubt, the best choices for a lightweight folding rifle build. Both are an investment. Hopefully if you're considering taking the plunge and spending more than a grand one either one, this helps you out.

I'm glad you did this, I have 2 XLR elements and have been torn between these 2 for another build. I think I'll stick with the XLR now!

jeffpg

WKR
I just found this on your website yesterday Mark. As the owner of each, I thoroughly appreciated the article, especially since I haven't been able to put the rifles through their paces. This was enlightening!

Mark or others,
Have you used the Spartan EQ M-lok adapter for the bipod and does having on front of stock ever an issue?
Thanks

OP
Mark at EXO

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mark or others,
Have you used the Spartan EQ M-lok adapter for the bipod and does having on front of stock ever an issue?
Thanks
No issues, but it certainly bugged me having the mount protruding from the otherwise clean/smooth bottom of the chassis. I was used to having the Spartan mount recessed on my previous stocks. I have also run Picatinny on the chassis for the Mtn Gear bipod. I wish there was a really lightweight bipod with a quick, but secure ARCA mount. I’m using an Atlas with ARCA for range/recreational shooting. I might just start hunting without a bipod and use my pack or tripod for prone shots. It isn’t common that I shoot from prone while hunting anyway.

Montucky

WKR
Excellent non-biased review on both Chassis’. I Love my XLR for certain reasons that pertain to my preferences. Some of us own Chevys & some of own Toyotas. That’s the beauty of an open market…..

No issues, but it certainly bugged me having the mount protruding from the otherwise clean/smooth bottom of the chassis. I was used to having the Spartan mount recessed on my previous stocks. I have also run Picatinny on the chassis for the Mtn Gear bipod. I wish there was a really lightweight bipod with a quick, but secure ARCA mount. I’m using an Atlas with ARCA for range/recreational shooting. I might just start hunting without a bipod and use my pack or tripod for prone shots. It isn’t common that I shoot from prone while hunting anyway.
Thanks for the reply Mark.
I have an 18 in barrel in an Atom and just haven't found "the answer " I'm looking for.
Like you say between tripod, hiking sticks and the backpack that should work.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Has anyone tried installing a Spartan gunsmith adapter on either the HNT or the XLR?

I hate having it stick out below my Arca rail as well.

-J

fatbacks

WKR
Have an HNT26 and want to get an XLR for one of my other rifles in the stable... I feel like having the folding mechanism having the ability to both lock open and closed would be a huge plus. I guess I will have to get an XLR to test my theory.

carter33

WKR
Has anyone tried installing a Spartan gunsmith adapter on either the HNT or the XLR?

I hate having it stick out below my Arca rail as well.

-J
I don’t believe that’s possible. Not enough material to sink the adapter into like on a standard stock.

I have had a couple XLR chassis and have a HNT26 on the way. Interested to see what I like better, good thing is resale seems solid on both.

Reactions: XLR
I have seen a lot of questions about these two chassis systems. What I haven't seen is anyone that has had experience with both of them and put together an objective and in-depth review or comparison. So I did...

https://exomtngear.com/chassis

Both chassis are, without a doubt, the best choices for a lightweight folding rifle build. Both are an investment. Hopefully if you're considering taking the plunge and spending more than a grand one either one, this helps you out.
Awesome comparison. Very helpful and much appreciated.

carter33

WKR
After having used both I would have to give the nod to XLR. I have used the XLR with a 22LR, 6CM, 7SAUM and 300PRC having shot all quite a bit. I went with the MDT on a recent 7PRC build and it is nice and still shoots great, not trashing it any way. The butt pad is not real forgiving though and I feel like it “pops” more off my shoulder. I also really prefer the thumb rest and grip options on the XLR. The MDT also has the carbon fore end that attaches with screws which seems like an additional failure point though it has not shown any signs of weakness I can see yet. I recently purchased the the RRS arca/pic attachment for my B&T atlas cal bipod and after 30 or so shots it did pop off the end of chassis. I haven’t yet used it with the XLR chassis other than the .22LR though so could potentially have the same issue.

I think I’ll be selling or trading my MDT HNT26 for another XLR. Will be nice to have similar platforms for familiarity anyways.

OP
Mark at EXO

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently purchased the the RRS arca/pic attachment for my B&T atlas cal bipod and after 30 or so shots it did pop off the end of chassis. I haven’t yet used it with the XLR chassis other than the .22LR though so could potentially have the same issue.
The newer XLR chassis also have the machined-in recesses for ARCA "pins" (such as RRS R-Lock), which is a huge improvement over both the MDT and older XLR models.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I spent some time talking to Jaden and Matt @XLR last week. Both of them were awesome to deal with. Being able to pick up the phone and talk to someone that’s willing and able to help is a big factor when choosing a product!