XLite vs. XTherm

lintond

WKR
Looking for a comparison of these two pads. I currently have the XLite and haven't slept too great the last two elk seasons because I'm discovering I'm a cold sleeper.

Looking to improve my system with the tentative plan to get the XTherm and switch to a quilt from my Helium.

sblount

FNG
I don't have the Xtherm. The R value is much higher on the Xtherm so it should keep you much warmer. I have the Exped synmat 9 LW i love it. Comfort is important to me and the noise the Xtherm mat makes wakes me up. Hope that helps a little.

bbrown

WKR
On the other end of the spectrum - is the Xtherm too warm for the summer scouting trips? Just ordered the LW Xtherm and hoping I can use it year round.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
On the other end of the spectrum - is the Xtherm too warm for the summer scouting trips? Just ordered the LW Xtherm and hoping I can use it year round.

Not for me. I use it with a quilt. I did pick up a lighter quilt for summer though than my 0 degree one.

1hoda

Banned
I use my Xterm year round. As a cold sleeper its comfortable even in the summer. I bought it for winter camping and loved it. I started using it for summer because of the compact size- plus at the premium price I figured if I'm going to spend this much $ on a pad I'm going to sleep on it a lot . Have used it for 3 full years with monthy trips and hardly shows any wear.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I'm liking the positive reviews! Probably be using my REI dividend and discount on a new pad. :)

I don't have any experience with the Xlite but I've been using the Xtherm for a few years now (in temps ranging from 20-50 F) and have been very happy with it.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I went for the XLite this week. I'll double up on bottom with a Closed Cell if below freezing. Hope that gets the R rating where it needs to be for me.

FreeRange

WKR
I have both (well, my wife has the xtherm) and when weight is not an issue and she's not using it I always take the xtherm because it's full length and my xlite is 3/4. The xtherm is not an issue in warm weather and is really nice when it's cold. If I had to keep just one it would without a doubt be the xtherm. The new ones are supposed to be quieter though the noise has never bothered me personally. You could get a nice new one or pick up a last years model at a discount.

Ive never tried the xtherm, but Ive been using the xlite for at least a couple of years & have used it down into the 20s without getting cold. Im also nearly deaf, so I don't get the krinkly noise thing.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for a comparison of these two pads. I currently have the XLite and haven't slept too great the last two elk seasons because I'm discovering I'm a cold sleeper.

Looking to improve my system with the tentative plan to get the XTherm and switch to a quilt from my Helium.
You interested in a trade? I have two Xtherms.

I, as a typical girl, sleep really cold ..... Like 0 degree bag in 30 degree weather type of cold. I have used both many times and for me, I stayed warm with the Xtherm but didn't with the Xlite. Both are great products but if you sleep cold, for only a small increase in weight- I found it was way worth it for the Better R value. The noise of the Xtherm is a lot louder just fyi

Klymit came out with a new Insulated Static V Lite. R value is 4.4 and 19oz. Same dimensions as the older series (72x23x2.5)

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I own both. Switched to a quilt. Don't think think I'll be packing the xlite again unless it's a long ugly pack in and I'm cutting every possible oz.

chindits

WKR
Year round x-therm fan. In the summer I can use less of a top layer and I have never said my sleeping pad is too warm. The crinkly noise doesn't bother me when I am sleeping, because I am asleep. I suppose if I thought about it before I went to sleep it might bother me. I'm usually in the CO high country except in the spring when I visit that low down red canyon country, so your summer temps may differ.