X-rays say its not broken

Vandal 44

WKR
I leave to go on my hunt in North Idaho late yesterday. I get to the spot I want to set up my camp, its dark and starting to sprinkle a little, no big deal, park the truck and unload the quad. As I am getting off the quad I step on a rock and roll my ankle, I hear a pop as I hit the ground. As I am laying there I start to feel it swelling up, I let the colorful language fly for a few minutes.

I get up shake myself off and start to set up my tent, it starts raining hard (note to self practice setting your new tent up during the daylight hours and not in the rain.) I am hungry and my ankle is starting to throb with every heart beat, I eat a peanut butter and bacon sandwich with some advil I sent my wife a text picture of my ankle (she an ER nurse) and she tells me it looks like its broke, that's not what I wanted to hear so I try going to sleep. The thing that made it worse is I was hunting solo. It rained hard all through the night and did not letup.

I got up this morning to wet sleeping bag wet gear, and throbbing, swollen ankle. I get everything loaded back up into the truck and head back to Spokane, see the doctor get the X-Rays and it looks like nothings broken. He tells me "take it easy for a few weeks", and I tell him that's not going to happen, I have an elk tag that needs to be filled. I will be taking it easy for a two days and then its back to the wood.

I am getting the gear dried out and will be repacking the food and getting ready to finish my Idaho elk hunt strong

No tag is worth permanent damage man. Sucks about the ankle man, take care of it and shoot one close to the road! :)

Mike

Randle

WKR
Man Gerry be careful , hope it heals up OK .

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you can get back out there! Good luck man!

Sounds like you tore a ligament or two. I did that in 2005, two days before a backpack hunt. The first couple miles sucked really bad but after it warmed up, it wasn't too bad. I wore a really good brace and was able to make the ten mile hike to camp. I don't play basketball during hunting season anymore.

Dammlm

FNG
I rolled my ankle on July 5th. Tore three ligaments on the outside of the ankle and a part tear on one inside ligament. 8 weeks in full brace and started walking with no crutches a week and a half ago. I will do everything in my power to never roll an ankle again.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I am not sure if I tore anything, it really doesn't matter. I took Monday and Tuesday off and hit the mountains a the last four days chasing elk, its been more like looking for elk with the weather its been difficult. The ankle is a little sore but once I get going its ok, when I side hill that's when I really feel the pain.

Damn.... I'm getting the shivers just reading about it.
Tape the hell out of it and hunt quality ground slow & steady.
May your pain fade away w/ the sound of the bugle.
Good Luck!
Hunt'nFish

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I've been unlucky with ankles over the years, so I can relate. I hope that you heal up soon and completely. Best - M

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck and hope the ankle heals better. Hope nothing tore and be careful.
The beginning of August, I rolled my ankle and broke a bone in my foot clean through Just getting back to being able to walk on it. Seems that there are a large number of small moving parts amount of small moving parts to screw up down there.
Best wishes.