Wyoming Whitetail-Winter kill?

KHNC

WKR
Anyone have any insight on how this hard winter and severe snowpack has affected Whitetail? I know its been rough on antelope and mule deer. Do WT seem to fare better in these types of conditions?

wytx

WKR
The WT can migrate like the muleys, might be ok but many are suffering too.
Know more next week after WG&F meetings.
I wouldn't put in my app just yet.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
The WT can migrate like the muleys, might be ok but many are suffering too.
Know more next week after WG&F meetings.
I wouldn't put in my app just yet.
I plan to wait until elk results are out before i do. But I have not been able to find a single update on how the WT are doing. Only Muleys, elk and pronghorn.

manitou1

WKR

Fatcamp

WKR
I see a lot of folks posting these snow depth charts.
This winter has been hard on WY wildlife due to the length of time the snow has covered the ground (4.5 months here in my area), the hardness of the snow, the brutal temps and the wind... which we have a had a lot of all of these.
Snow depth does have an effect, but these other factors moreso IMO.

Whether they can get to feed is why they interest me. Cold and wind suck, but starvation is what kills deer.

Add in that other stuff and outlook is bad.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I would think the whitetail deer wouldn't be any different than mule deer.
WT seem to find a way. They dont feed on the same thing as MD and typically dont inhabit the same terrain the majority of the time. Im sure in adverse conditions , both with eat most anything they can find. However, im sure the whitetail in river bottoms likely find some food sources the MD the may not. If thats not the case, then thats the info im trying to find out. Thx

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Any updates on WT herd in Wyoming? All the info I have found was geared to Muley herds. From what i can tell, the WT did ok at lower elevations. Not much other info available.

WCB

WKR
Rancher I know in NE WY. Ranch touches the Bear Lodge NF on the very north end said the deer took a pounding in his area. Combo of EHD and winter...he thinks his ranch is down 50% or more. Another Rancher west about 45 minutes or so said his deer herd is doing really good. He purposely fed the deer all winter though. And by deer I mean hundreds.