Colorado Elk/ Other Ungulates Recovery after 2023 Winter

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
This last Colorado winter we just had was the worst we've had in decades is what I've been reading over the last few months. It was especially hard on deer & elk I know. Other species I can't really speak on their survival because I don't really know to be honest. But I was at a CPW meeting the other day, & a man told my father that in Northwest Colorado, 5% of last years' elk calves survived the winter. I was just wondering if y'all had any idea how long it could take for some of these species to bounce back & make a recovery. Thanks for your insight
CJ

I thought the elk would have had a better survival rate since they tend to migrate out of the heavy snow to lower elevations. The deer are more of a permanent resident and don't migrate so I would think they would have been hit harder. I might be wrong.

Bearsears

WKR
I think when they had that really hard winter down in the Gunnison Valley area it took like 10 years for the deer population to bounce back. The NW herd of Elk is the biggest in the state so that should help a bit but its going to take time. We have archery either sex tags in the affected area and my partner and I have decided to only shoot bulls this year. Im expecting it to be pretty rough though. On the positive note, across the state with the moisture this year antler growth should be pretty good.

intunegp

WKR
I thought the elk would have had a better survival rate since they tend to migrate out of the heavy snow to lower elevations. The deer are more of a permanent resident and don't migrate so I would think they would have been hit harder. I might be wrong.

Problem is there was heavy snow at the lower elevations they usually migrate to. Many animals died due to exhaustion/starvation in trying to migrate far enough to find suitable wintering grounds. Many of the ones that made it to someplace that they could survive were not strong enough to make the trip back after winter.

Just spent a couple weeks home in northwest Colorado archery. Had 2 bugles at night. Dead silent almost every night. Found more dead cow elk skulls than seen elk. Seemed to see 3 bucks to every doe. (Probably because so many does usually have fawns, kind of physically intensive for survival) Was charged by moose. Hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked. Elk sign sometimes passing by during the night, dead silent all night. The silence was deafening. Even during the last three days of the full moon being out during sunrise, it's like they aren't even rutting or interested. CPW said they are coming in silent to calls when they do, and all the elk at meat processing I seen were full bodies. Which if you know the area means one thing, private land tags were only real ones being filled.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you man . I went into the same area I was in last fall & found it to be over run with folks from all over the country . Saw a handful of cow elk on the opener on the opposite side of a nasty canyon , & a legal bull came up through the bottom of the canyon after them a couple hundred yards away from me, but I wasn’t positioned in the bottom of the canyon to have any kind of opportunity at him. Had to bail early on my first trip when my water system failed me in the backcountry . Went back up the third week & there was a **** ton of people from all over the country . Basically a zoo even after I hiked in close to 4 miles . By that time all the bulls I seen were either at the top tops of 11000 ft peaks that no man in his right mind would try to climb with how thick the scrub oak is there . Also saw a bull deep down in the thickest nastiest canyon that also you would have to be some kinda fool to try to get down there with how nasty the vegetation is and the steepness of the canyon side . Bailed after a couple days , felt like the elk were hanging out in places that were just outta reach . Let’s hope things improve when/if Colorado changes the OTC deal for non res. Time to look for a new area to OTC bow hunt next time around. Also heard that the calf survival rate this past winter in the NW corner was 5% so I bet you did see many skulls brother . Good luck to ya

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Just spent a couple weeks home in northwest Colorado archery. Had 2 bugles at night. Dead silent almost every night. Found more dead cow elk skulls than seen elk. Seemed to see 3 bucks to every doe. (Probably because so many does usually have fawns, kind of physically intensive for survival) Was charged by moose. Hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked. Elk sign sometimes passing by during the night, dead silent all night. The silence was deafening. Even during the last three days of the full moon being out during sunrise, it's like they aren't even rutting or interested. CPW said they are coming in silent to calls when they do, and all the elk at meat processing I seen were full bodies. Which if you know the area means one thing, private land tags were only real ones being filled.
Did you have to fire your side arm at the moose

I hear you man . I went into the same area I was in last fall & found it to be over run with folks from all over the country . Saw a handful of cow elk on the opener on the opposite side of a nasty canyon , & a legal bull came up through the bottom of the canyon after them a couple hundred yards away from me, but I wasn’t positioned in the bottom of the canyon to have any kind of opportunity at him. Had to bail early on my first trip when my water system failed me in the backcountry . Went back up the third week & there was a **** ton of people from all over the country . Basically a zoo even after I hiked in close to 4 miles . By that time all the bulls I seen were either at the top tops of 11000 ft peaks that no man in his right mind would try to climb with how thick the scrub oak is there . Also saw a bull deep down in the thickest nastiest canyon that also you would have to be some kinda fool to try to get down there with how nasty the vegetation is and the steepness of the canyon side . Bailed after a couple days , felt like the elk were hanging out in places that were just outta reach . Let’s hope things improve when/if Colorado changes the OTC deal for non res. Also heard that the calf survival rate this past winter in the NW corner was 5% so I bet you did see many skulls brother .
Nah, ran to the trees. Big spoons were smashing them but he couldn't catch up. Showed up at our camp up north of the draw 3 AM. Doing the deep bass rut noises just wound tight walking back and forth south of us 60 yards for 20 mins. Was looking for something to fight. Mating pair showed up last night on me at 55 yards cow, bull hopped up a shelf 25 yards from me. Ran for the hills lost my bugle tube. Climbed nasty nasty stuff to get out of that other draw. So I'm home now on the last night. Loaded up this morning, just defeated by the silence. Bugles I did hear bull elk were traveling 3 miles passing through in about 30 mins. Just straight moving. Lots of out of towners up there scouting for rifle. Hopefully none of them end up having to open fire on a moose. Heard pistol rounds this morning down south of where the mating pair showed up this morning. I hope they didn't have to wound one. Home turf is hurting from last winter. Big change from calling in screaming bulls every few days last year, to just nothing but silence this year. It doesn't feel good. Just sadness.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Shit man patience is the virtue . Strongest survive . You’ll look back in 5 years when things improve & be that much more thankful to god for the brighter days you have comin !!!

Shit man patience is the virtue . Strongest survive . You’ll look back in 5 years when things improve & be that much more thankful to god for the brighter days you have comin !!!
Oh hell yeah brother. I'm not stressing already have plans for harder deeper hunting next year. Every year is a lesson. Last years was not to glunk too close to dark or you might have an elk attempt to whisper sweet nothings in your ear. This year is a warning from god about the reality of moose lol.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Yea hell yea nothing to play with !! I’m trying to figure it out too , hope you get some good fortune next time around

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Oh hell yeah brother. I'm not stressing already have plans for harder deeper hunting next year. Every year is a lesson. Last years was not to glunk too close to dark or you might have an elk attempt to whisper sweet nothings in your ear. This year is a warning from god about the reality of moose lol.
Last years message for me was be careful in Walden co those bogs will swallow your ass up