Wyoming spring bear 2024 elevation

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to go on my first spring bear hunt in Wyoming this spring. I am driving out for the first and second weeks in May, and have an area picked out to hunt in the western portion of the state. The elevation bands I'm looking at are around 7500-8000 feet.
Being brutally honest, how stupid is this plan? Am I even going to be able to get up into the mountains from the trailhead, or is the snow still going to be feet deep at that elevation? I have years of backpacking experience and backpack hunting, but only in the fall. I am most concerned over whether the south slopes will even be thawed and whether the bears will even be feeding.
Thank you in advance.

wyosam

WKR
Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to go on my first spring bear hunt in Wyoming this spring. I am driving out for the first and second weeks in May, and have an area picked out to hunt in the western portion of the state. The elevation bands I'm looking at are around 7500-8000 feet.
Being brutally honest, how stupid is this plan? Am I even going to be able to get up into the mountains from the trailhead, or is the snow still going to be feet deep at that elevation? I have years of backpacking experience and backpack hunting, but only in the fall. I am most concerned over whether the south slopes will even be thawed and whether the bears will even be feeding.
Thank you in advance.

South slopes should be good by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke10

FNG
With how mild this winter has been, you should be able to get to those elevations. I agree with wyosam, the south slopes should be melted off. I'd guess the north slopes and the timber will still have snow. And I wouldn't be surprised to see feet of snow in the timber in between parks and south facing slopes.

In my experience you typically have to wait till mid/late May to consistently go above 8,000 feet, unless you have snowshoes.

OP
Thisisme2828
Thanks all. This is my first attempt at western bear hunting. I tried to pick out a spot near where I had already backpacked and had plenty of options for south facing slopes. Western Wyoming seems to pretty much be 7000 feet and up in elevation. Im not sure if where I have picked will have any black bears out cruising yet, but I figured if i don't try I'll never learn.

Northwet

FNG
I'd be prepared to hike in from fairly close to plowed roads. As mentioned, S slopes will often be nicely thawed out, but often roads will have some shady sections that will melt off much slower, esp. as you get farther up the forest roads and encounter switchbacks and such.

Even if there is a lot of snow, if you have some traction devices and choose your route with care you should be able to hike into good country. The freeze/thaw cycle will consolidate the snow so you won't be post-holing the whole way. The key is getting to an appropriate trailhead (or place to park more generally).

Being out in the mountains in the Spring is awesome even if you don't see any bears.

OP
Thisisme2828
I'd be prepared to hike in from fairly close to plowed roads. As mentioned, S slopes will often be nicely thawed out, but often roads will have some shady sections that will melt off much slower, esp. as you get farther up the forest roads and encounter switchbacks and such.

Even if there is a lot of snow, if you have some traction devices and choose your route with care you should be able to hike into good country. The freeze/thaw cycle will consolidate the snow so you won't be post-holing the whole way. The key is getting to an appropriate trailhead (or place to park more generally).

Being out in the mountains in the Spring is awesome even if you don't see any bears.
The road to the trailhead is a good blacktopped road so I'm confident that I'll be able to at least get into the country. My main concern is that I'll push my way up the trail and get to elevation only to find that I'm up to my neck in snow, literally.
I am excited to spend a week watching the mountains come to life after winter though, even if I don't see any bears.

In idaho, a lot of the south slopes are thawed. Will be muddy getting up there but doable. North facing slopes definitely have snow around here. Wish you best of luck on your hunt man! Share if u get or see anything.

I wouldn't pick a spot until you get out here
Gonna be hard to drive any roads unless they get plowed all winter
That is the best part about spring bear, just exploring

Wyco307

FNG
Like others have said, I would decide my spot when I get there based on if there is still snow or not. Access however could be an issue depending on where you are planning to hunt. Some ranges still are sitting around 95"+ of snow. This could go fast but its tough to say what kind of spring storms we will get.

rdramsey8

FNG
I’ll echo what others have said, stay flexible on area until you’re boots on the ground. I was out poking around last weekend (western Wyoming) and there’s still a decent amount of snow at 7500’ and above, where there isn’t snow, there’s mud. Most of the FS roads in our area are still covered in snow or in very poor shape due to mud. Looks like rain is forecasted for Friday-Sunday this week, that will help with snow melt, but the roads will likely be bad, there’s a good amount of bentonite here so it doesn’t take much to get into trouble in the mud/tear up the roads.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Try giving "Sentinel Hub Playground" a google. The European Space Agency's Copernicus satellites photograph the whole earth every few days. Zoom in to your area and pick a date in the last few days, see where there's snow and where there isn't. There's also years of historical imagery in there, so for planning future hunts and trying to gauge when the snow melts off in your target area is pretty easy. It's been a game changer for me.

OP
Thisisme2828
Thank you everyone. This has all been very helpful. I think that I’m going to take everyone’s advice and just stay semper Gumby and play it by ear

OP
Thisisme2828
Try giving "Sentinel Hub Playground" a google. The European Space Agency's Copernicus satellites photograph the whole earth every few days. Zoom in to your area and pick a date in the last few days, see where there's snow and where there isn't. There's also years of historical imagery in there, so for planning future hunts and trying to gauge when the snow melts off in your target area is pretty easy. It's been a game changer for me.
Thank you. I will check that out as soon as I get off work
Thank you for the tip. I was just playing around on it and it certainly isn't making me feel any better haha. It is a very cool tool and I will definitely be looking back through past years planning future western hunts.