Wyoming Shed Hunting Bill Proposal

Fatcamp

WKR
Until I heard the meateater podcast with the commercial shed hunter I didn't even know shed hunting was a competitive activity. I just thought keeping pressure off the winter-weakened animals was the important thing. Understaffed game wardens are going to have a full plate.

This is a resident/non-resident issue that's not worth my brain cells except in jest.

Which episode of ME?

wytx

WKR
Legislators don't do anything they don't think will get them reelected, so to say this idea was random and unvetted doesn't seem logical.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Where did I say random and unvetted? But please show me where it was pushed by residents. I'm sure someone had a talk with the sponsors but to say it was pushed might not be correct.
Logical? Look at comments about game management and access to federal lands, those comments are logical, lmao !!

LostArra

WKR

WKR
But is a piece of bone laying on the ground an animal?
Antlers appear to be treated as a wildlife resource. If you take antlers from a road killed elk, you're going to get a visit from Wyoming G&F, not U.S. Forest Service, even if the elk died on Forest Service land.

I don't remember ever seeing Forest Service out when shed hunting is going on but Wyoming G&F and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are out in full force.

The same thing goes on at the elk antler auction: Wyoming Game Wardens are there, not Forest Rangers.

If this bill passes, it shouldn't keep you off "your" federal lands. But it will keep you from picking up Wyoming's antlers on "your" federal lands until Wyoming says go.

Last edited:

WKR
As far as I’m concerned the government needs to butt out of people on public land. If you are not destroying or littering I don’t see anything wrong with using public land.
Go use your public land. Walk all over it. Just don't pick up Wyoming's antlers on your public land until Wyoming says go.

WKR
My two posts above will lead many to believe I'm a strong supporter of this bill. I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other about the particulars of this bill. But what I do have a strong opinion about is state's rights and a literal and originalist interpretation of the 10th Amendment.

ewade07

WKR
@S.Clancy possibly. will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. Regardlesss of if it passes, we have at least one more year of the Red Stallion

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Where did I say random and unvetted? But please show me where it was pushed by residents. I'm sure someone had a talk with the sponsors but to say it was pushed might not be correct.
Logical? Look at comments about game management and access to federal lands, those comments are logical, lmao !!
There is a legitimate gripe from nonresidents over the Wyoming wilderness rule. You can't argue that that's anything other than outfitter welfare. These legislators only bring forth bills that they're asked to, these geniuses don't think anything up on their own. We all know that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I find it extremely odd that shed hunting is regulated at all in the first place on public ground. Why in the world would any state be involved or try to license this? I may be missing something but this doesn't make sense.

wytx

WKR
I find it extremely odd that shed hunting is regulated at all in the first place on public ground. Why in the world would any state be involved or try to license this? I may be missing something but this doesn't make sense.
Winter range and wintering animals. Not sure where you are from but here large herds winter in specific areas of the state and pushing them around too early could be detrimental to their overall health. Lots of money made selling antlers.

Yes sneaky we all know the wilderness bill is outfitter welfare, residents have been talking about that for years, most don't agree with it but some do.
Outfitters did not push this antler bill, I know some legislators here in Wyoming, I guess you do too?
And you have access to wilderness just not for big game hunting without a guide.
States get to manage the wildlife, it's fact some need to learn. Actually it's a law some need to learn about.

Making selling sheds illegal sounds better.

ewade07

WKR
Making selling sheds illegal sounds better.
I dont think making the sale of antlers illegal would really do anything, there will always be a market whether its legal or not. Black market antler sales would make prices go sky high which could possibly make matters worse.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
The minute you monetize a wild game animal "for profit" or any of their "parts" is when it all goes downhill. Everyone wants their cut, even the state, and this was never a thing until the flatbillers started picking up participation trophies and posting to social media. I'll pick up sheds if I am in the woods and stumble across one to put in the shed pile at the house. I don't actively go out looking for an animal I didn't beat at his game. I guess different strokes for different folks, but part of me thinks this shouldn't even be a thing for people to collect antlers to sell.

I say if there going to license it then lets do bag limits as well. No more than 4 antlers per person per day! That might slow down the commercial people a little bit. Oh and no catch and release! Once you've picked it up you own it! Wouldn't want you stacking them in a hole to come back later!

CJ19

WKR
In order to help this situation, we need more influencers advocating for shed hunting on public land. Additional large sponsorship deals from companies like Leupold, Yeti, Sitka, and Petsmart for these influencers will help bring the financial resources and legislative attention to this activity that it needs to improve it. OnX and gohunt can probably get in the action with more shed hunting specific layers. All becuase they love public land of course. All proceeds will go back to public lands, no financial gain to be had by anyone of course. Only by getting more shed hunters onto federal land will we be in a position to help and save shed hunting on public land. Dont forget promo code Andy at check out.

southLA

WKR
In order to help this situation, we need more influencers advocating for shed hunting on public land. Additional large sponsorship deals from companies like Leupold, Yeti, Sitka, and Petsmart for these influencers will help bring the financial resources and legislative attention to this activity that it needs to improve it. OnX and gohunt can probably get in the action with more shed hunting specific layers. All becuase they love public land of course. All proceeds will go back to public lands, no financial gain to be had by anyone of course. Only by getting more shed hunters onto federal land will we be in a position to help and save shed hunting on public land. Dont forget promo code Andy at check out.
Wish i could like this more than once.