Wyoming Shed Hunting Bill Proposal

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
This bill and any others like it are a direct consequence of social media.

As far as I’m concerned the government needs to butt out of people on public land. If you are not destroying or littering I don’t see anything wrong with using public land.

KurtR

WKR
Residents found all my spots during Covid jerk off time.

I stopped shed hunting.

Maybe if I hold my breath and stomp my feet hard enough I can convince my state to allow locals only to fish out lakes.
Every one from the Dakotas would support you on that. Maybe the lakes wouldn’t look like a packers tailgate party every winter.

Fatcamp

WKR
Every one from the Dakotas would support you on that. Maybe the lakes wouldn’t look like a packers tailgate party every winter.

LOL. My friends who are serious about fishing and seem like well adjusted adults become unhinged when talking about non-resident fishing issues.

To the point I wouldn't even bring it up.

KurtR

WKR
LOL. My friends who are serious about fishing and seem like well adjusted adults become unhinged when talking about non-resident fishing issues.

To the point I wouldn't even bring it up.
Western hunters like to talk about pressure but till you see 200 vehicles on a small lake filling buckets of perch that’s pressure. The small potholes will get fished out in a matter of a couple weeks.

WKR
I try to keep all my posts positive but sometimes, you just got to call a spade a spade. Apparently, there are a BUNCH of GREEDY, HOLIER THAN THOU people in WY.
Pot, this is kettle, over.......

I see you're from North Carolina. I've lived in Wyoming most of my adult life but I grew up in North Carolina. I remember hearing Tarheels go on, and on, and on, about "Yankees" and people from Florida, which was like a Yankee but worse. This was usually done with disgust in their voices.

If that's never been you, ignore my comment. But it was a common thing to hear when I grew up there.

Sometimes, you just got to call a spade a spade.

Last edited:
I try to keep all my posts positive but sometimes, you just got to call a spade a spade. Apparently, there are a BUNCH of GREEDY, HOLIER THAN THOU people in WY.
Isn’t it amazing how the residents of one of the biggest welfare states, the state with the best resident hunting benefits in the lower 48, acts like it’s the non res that are entitled?

I’m sure when it’s time to donate or fight something they will be online with their hands out like always.

Cowbell

WKR
I love it when a state agency can show favoritism to its on state residents over the other public landowners that equally own land there but live out of state. It is equally as satisfying when residents feel they are entitled to more rights on equally shared ownership in federal lands. I don't have anymore right to the federal land down the road from me as any other tax payer.

There will come a day when tags on federal lands are allocated differently than tags on non federal lands. And hopefully a day when there will be no private profit derived from public land resources.

KurtR

WKR
I love it when a state agency can show favoritism to its on state residents over the other public landowners that equally own land there but live out of state. It is equally as satisfying when residents feel they are entitled to more rights on equally shared ownership in federal lands. I don't have anymore right to the federal land down the road from me as any other tax payer.

There will come a day when tags on federal lands are allocated differently than tags on non federal lands. And hopefully a day when there will be no private profit derived from public land resources.
That holds no water as animals are managed and held in trust by states. You can still go on the federal land. If it does come to that there won’t be such thing as federal land they will be sold. So be careful what you wish for

As a resident, this is not the answer. I do shed hunt and have seen the chaos. Fist fights, shootings, it’s an all out war in some places. Those places usually have horn poachers anyways. I don’t go over there anymore. Where I shed hunt now, it’s rare to find a good brown but I still enjoy getting out. I am really worried about winter range and running the animals ragged. I don’t have a solution but this bill is not it. Residents sometimes forget that most of the game and fish funding comes from Non residents. Maybe this is something they are hoping to monetize on.

TheTone

WKR
That holds no water as animals are managed and held in trust by states. You can still go on the federal land. If it does come to that there won’t be such thing as federal land they will be sold. So be careful what you wish for
But is a piece of bone laying on the ground an animal?

Kopmana

FNG
We should all be looking at the long term picture, not what's best for me right now. At the rate every state, (even my home state of SD) is screwing the nonresidents on anything hunting related, We will all have to stay in our own states to hunt/fish/shed pick. Then what happens? ohh, everyone that loves elk/mule deer/shed hunting will move to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, South Dakota etc, to get their piece of the pie as a resident. If you double the residents in any state, you can bet that the resident hunters will double as well. That's where the long term issue is. I live in SD and it takes 20 plus years to draw a RESIDENT elk tag. Currently SD offers zero elk tags in the regular draw for nonresidents, but if a bill ever came up to give 5% of our elk tags to nonresidents, i would support it, because, really it makes pretty much zero difference in my own draw odds. I think the bigger issue in all states is the hate for nonresident hunters/fishermen. We might all be shooting ourselves in the foot long term by limiting nonresidents the way it has been done lately. because people are going to move, and go to other states to shed pick, making the pressure worse there. its a self fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
This is quite funny, watching all the heads blow up.
Residents didn't lobby for this bill, just some legislators that thought it would be a good idea yet here we are, the greedy residents again sticking it to the NRs.
Our population is going to double, resident hunting will suffer, lawsuits galore over tags and antlers and taking away states rights to mange the wildlife within it's borders. All great ideas by NRs.

Please file those lawsuits, the very future of hunting depends on them, lol.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is quite funny, watching all the heads blow up.
Residents didn't lobby for this bill, just some legislators that thought it would be a good idea yet here we are, the greedy residents again sticking it to the NRs.
Our population is going to double, resident hunting will suffer, lawsuits galore over tags and antlers and taking away states rights to mange the wildlife within it's borders. All great ideas by NRs.

Please file those lawsuits, the very future of hunting depends on them, lol.
Legislators don't do anything they don't think will get them reelected, so to say this idea was random and unvetted doesn't seem logical.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Until I heard the meateater podcast with the commercial shed hunter I didn't even know shed hunting was a competitive activity. I just thought keeping pressure off the winter-weakened animals was the important thing. Understaffed game wardens are going to have a full plate.

This is a resident/non-resident issue that's not worth my brain cells except in jest.