Wyoming season changes and restrictions

WKR

WKR
There is now a 3 points or better restriction and also the season dates changed to end on September 30th instead of the 6th of October.
This isn't statewide its only where the winter kill is devastating the populations.

I wonder if that will effect the amount of non resident applications

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
It's absolutely ridiculous that they cut tags in H and not in G. Same deer herd is getting pummeled on the same winter range. It makes zero sense. Gotta get those NR to apply for those G tags I guess.
Seriously? Wow I thought it was for both regions. That doesn't make any sense

It could be that the nonresident participation is around 10% of total hunters in G and they want to see that in H.

Based on the 2017 data, when they issued the 3pt APR but not the season cut, there will naturally be at least 800 fewer residents participating in these Regions, per region, as well.

S.Clancy

WKR
It could be that the nonresident participation is around 10% of total hunters in G and they want to see that in H.

Based on the 2017 data, when they issued the 3pt APR but not the season cut, there will naturally be at least 800 fewer residents participating in these Regions, per region, as well.
Stop using logic bro, emotion only.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
NOT the same deer herd guys. There are two different deer herds G&F manages from G & H. The Wyoming range deer herd mostly encompasses G. The Sublette deer herd mostly H. There is some overlap, but for the most part the Sublette Herd will congregate on their 3+ core winter areas and the Wyoming Range Deer to their 4+ core winter areas. The Wyoming Range Deer herd has always had more deer than the Sublette Herd, but also sees more R hunting pressure. G has been managed conservatively for NR tags for quite some time, and NR usually have a higher success rate than R. After the last hard winter in 16/17, hunter days in G areas declined by 1000 that next season and by 1500 2 years afterwards....but NR tags hadn't changed...hmmm? Residents decided to scale back and we'll see that again for the next 2 or 3 years.

wytx

WKR
NOT the same deer herd guys. There are two different deer herds G&F manages from G & H. The Wyoming range deer herd mostly encompasses G. The Sublette deer herd mostly H. There is some overlap, but for the most part the Sublette Herd will congregate on their 3+ core winter areas and the Wyoming Range Deer to their 4+ core winter areas. The Wyoming Range Deer herd has always had more deer than the Sublette Herd, but also sees more R hunting pressure. G has been managed conservatively for NR tags for quite some time, and NR usually have a higher success rate than R. After the last hard winter in 16/17, hunter days in G areas declined by 1000 that next season and by 1500 2 years afterwards....but NR tags hadn't changed...hmmm? Residents decided to scale back and we'll see that again for the next 2 or 3 years.
Logic for this group, how dare you.
Yep different herds, and managed as so.

I would be totally fine with them shutting it down here for a couple years
We will have 20% or less of the animals we did 20 years ago
It used to be the western serengeti when all the antelope and deer would move through in the spring and fall, was an amazing sight
Now it is just sad

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be totally fine with them shutting it down here for a couple years
We will have 20% or less of the animals we did 20 years ago
It used to be the western serengeti when all the antelope and deer would move through in the spring and fall, was an amazing sight
Now it is just sad
Lots of things having a impact that no hunting isn't going to fix. Lots of things you can't control like winter weather. Muledeer aren't a resource you can stock pile for later.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Logic for this group, how dare you.
Yep different herds, and managed as so.
The Wyoming range deer herd is getting crushed just like the Sublette herd, and the response is "residents will just dial back pressure". That's golden. APRs don't work historically, it's a bandaid fix to a long term problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I dont expect folks will hold back “cause it is the right thing to do”. I expect them to try and beat the other guy. Full steam ahead, winter kill - eh. Shoot the lil buck over there!

Last edited:
Maybe im wrong, but hasn’t the data shown a “bigger hit” to the Wyoming Range Deer than The Sublette Herd? Both Fawn/Adult Mortality? Maybe I’m remembering wrong?

I know the Wyoming Range has been crushed. Especially the last few weeks.

If the argument can be made tags need reduced (twice now) in H it’s very odd no reductions proposed in G.
I think there is something else going on 🤣 it’s stuff like this that makes hunters scratch their heads and question WTF is going on here.

(Ill argue hunting bucks means very little as last time I checked they don’t have fawns)

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe im wrong, but hasn’t the data shown a “bigger hit” to the Wyoming Range Deer than The Sublette Herd? Both Fawn/Adult Mortality? Maybe I’m remembering wrong?

I know the Wyoming Range has been crushed. Especially the last few weeks.

If the argument can be made tags need reduced (twice now) in H it’s very odd no reductions proposed in G.
I think there is something else going on 🤣 it’s stuff like this that makes hunters scratch their heads and question WTF is going on here.

(Ill argue hunting bucks means very little as last time I checked they don’t have fawns)
Both herds are getting crushed since we still have between a foot and 2ft of snow on the winter ranges and 3 mornings ago it was 4 below. I've never seen it hold this late. Think were up to 64 or so mornings of below 0 temps. At the season setting meeting to discuss to the Sublette herd, G&F was expecting losses similar to the Wyoming Range side. I watched Monteith's presentation in Pinedale and 35% of the collared does had died. A week later he did the same presentation for Rawlins and it was up to 40%. The collared bucks was up to 50% mortality. Living in the northern part of H, I'll say that there are pockets of deer that are making a living probably better than some G deer since we just did not get the snowfall totals on northern winter ranges like the southern winter ranges did, but again, it looks like we are 4 or 5 weeks behind. The H deer that winter along the Wind River Range front taking it hard, that apocalyptic blizzard didn't do them any favors. H has been really slow to recover from 16/17 and 18/19. We have 2 Limited Quota areas in H. 141 was dropped to 50 tags from 80 and 130 has gone from 30 to 15 and now 5 tags. Again, the Wyoming Range deer herd has always had more deer, so perhaps we are actually seeing how conservative G&F was being with NR licenses. BTW, enjoyed the podcasts you and Robby did in Rock Springs at the Mule deer days. Wasn't able to make it down there for that.