Nebraska Non-Res Turkey Changes

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up, Nebraska turkey regulations have changed for the spring 2023 season. Non-resident permits got limited to 10,000 permits this season instead of OTC like in the past. They went on sale the 9th, this morning there were 6,150 left. If you are wanting to hunt Nebraska this spring, you should keep tabs on that number as I'm sure they will sell out.

There are some other changes too, but this would be the most significant for non-res hunters.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been toying with a swing thru the black hills and this would cramp my style if not known.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I had not seen this permit regulation change prior to now. Thank you.
I will say that my personal observation is that turkey populations in my area of Nebraska are way way down.

Drought has been miserable for 2 years in a row in my corner of paradise, and I attribute most wild population (all species) declines to it.

I have also heard rumblings of Avian Influenza in domestic and wild bird populations.
NG&P put out this in 2022 (?)

OP
H

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I had not seen this permit regulation change prior to now. Thank you.
I will say that my personal observation is that turkey populations in my area of Nebraska are way way down.

Drought has been miserable for 2 years in a row in my corner of paradise, and I attribute most wild population (all species) declines to it.

I have also heard rumblings of Avian Influenza in domestic and wild bird populations.
NG&P put out this in 2022 (?)

We hunt south central and southwest Nebraska. Bird numbers were down last spring, we ended up holding back and not taking as many as we normally would. I'm guessing there will be less 2 year old birds around this spring. With limited cover and bugs all summer chick survival can't be great from this last brood, so I'm also guessing a lot less 1 year old birds.

I think we will see some significant drops in bird numbers again this spring, but in reality the amount of mature toms over the next several years will take a substantial hit and really affect hunting for a while.

We hunt small pockets of birds in pastures and dry creek bottoms though, so a few less toms here and there makes a pretty big impact.

Overall the changes they made seem pretty sensible. Turkeys will have to be checked in via telecheck, so they should have more detailed harvest data after this season. So far the only thing they really haven't changed is the start date of season, that data could help shape discussions around that topic.

Chase0109

FNG
We hunt south central and southwest Nebraska. Bird numbers were down last spring, we ended up holding back and not taking as many as we normally would. I'm guessing there will be less 2 year old birds around this spring. With limited cover and bugs all summer chick survival can't be great from this last brood, so I'm also guessing a lot less 1 year old birds.

I think we will see some significant drops in bird numbers again this spring, but in reality the amount of mature toms over the next several years will take a substantial hit and really affect hunting for a while.

We hunt small pockets of birds in pastures and dry creek bottoms though, so a few less toms here and there makes a pretty big impact.

Overall the changes they made seem pretty sensible. Turkeys will have to be checked in via telecheck, so they should have more detailed harvest data after this season. So far the only thing they really haven't changed is the start date of season, that data could help shape discussions around that topic.
I agree with you, that the changes are for the better. I’m happy to see they’re putting a cap on NR permits. I say this as a non-resident myself. I think 10,000 tags is plenty, and anybody serious about chasing turkeys will easily be able to get a tag before they sell out. I purchased mine the first evening they came out.

Also in the article, was a change I am happy to see. Nebraska is reducing it to 2 permits per hunter a year. A decrease down from 3 permits per year. Kansas went from 2 spring permits, down to 1 (one zone where you can take a second bird). I think these reductions are positive. Still allows us to get out there, Have fun and hopefully tag a bird. But I hope it also helps the population by limiting a bit.

I would be fully in support if they push the spring season opening date back another week or two. I do think with the increase of turkey hunting and therefore killing the dominant Tom in an area shapes fertility and nesting success. Not a huge change but personally if I get a group of Toms that come in together, I try to kill what I think is the least dominant bird.

I hope that everybody who wants a tag gets one this spring!

Chase

Sterl91

FNG
I hunt central and SW nebraska mostly along the platte River but I have seen a lot more predators in recent years in coyotes and bobcats. Anyone else feel the same way?

j_volt

WKR
Has anyone heard what the plan is this year with Nebraska NR tags? I haven't been able to find much information.

Has anyone heard what the plan is this year with Nebraska NR tags? I haven't been able to find much information.

From what I've read, same regs as last year. 2 tags per person, quota of 10,000, can only kill 1 bird per day. Tags go on sale Monday, Jan 8th at 1pm CST.

I would be fully in support if they push the spring season opening date back another week or two. I do think with the increase of turkey hunting and therefore killing the dominant Tom in an area shapes fertility and nesting success. Not a huge change but personally if I get a group of Toms that come in together, I try to kill what I think is the least dominant bird.

Can you elaborate on this further? Specifically the second part.. I assumed if the dominant bird got killed, the next in line just stepped up and did the breeding.

j_volt

WKR
Can you elaborate on this further? Specifically the second part.. I assumed if the dominant bird got killed, the next in line just stepped up and did the breeding.
Mike Chamberlain (@wildturkeydoc on the gram) articulates this as well as anyone. Effectively, the dominant Tom does all of the breeding, and when he is removed, it takes time (sometimes significant time relative to the cycle) for a hen to transition to breeding with a new Tom.

Mike Chamberlain (@wildturkeydoc on the gram) articulates this as well as anyone. Effectively, the dominant Tom does all of the breeding, and when he is removed, it takes time (sometimes significant time relative to the cycle) for a hen to transition to breeding with a new Tom.

it is VERY important to note that this is still a THEORY and there is nothing of significance published yet. There is emerging evidence (some currently in publication) showing pushing back spring season dates does nothing for reproduction or turkey numbers. A lot of states (particularly in the southeast) have taken away a lot of turkey hunting opportunity based on the dominant gobbler theory. Opportunity hunters will likely not get back. All over something there may be nothing to.