Wyoming Saw 2

Jerry P

FNG
I'm looking at picking up a Wyoming Saw 2 (The larger one). They seem to have good reviews, just looking for some real world experience. Thanks

topher89

WKR
I have the smaller one but wish I had gotten the bigger.

I have permission to hunt on some private property that abuts some National Forest in CO. This year, I took a cow elk (my first!) as we were getting into the NF land. Instead of the longer pack out that we planned, we were able to slide the cow down the ridge and pull her through the fence to the private property. From there, we had a 4 wheeler to pull her up a ridge and back to camp. We tried to pull her out whole but the 4wheeler couldn't do it. Instead I sawed her in half. It was tough work with the little saw. I think the bigger saw would have led to less strokes and quicker work

Woodsboss

FNG
Not real sure what your intended use for the Wyoming saw is but if you're looking to buck up wood a much better alternative is the Sven-Saw, the Famous Campfire Folding Saw. I use mine for cutting larger logs for the tipi stove. It's superlight and doesn't take up much space so it goes anywhere the tipi and stove go. It's not intended for cutting bone so if that's your primary use stick with the Wyoming saw. I do suppose you could get a fine toothed blade.

OP
J

Jerry P

FNG
I have the smaller one but wish I had gotten the bigger.

I have permission to hunt on some private property that abuts some National Forest in CO. This year, I took a cow elk (my first!) as we were getting into the NF land. Instead of the longer pack out that we planned, we were able to slide the cow down the ridge and pull her through the fence to the private property. From there, we had a 4 wheeler to pull her up a ridge and back to camp. We tried to pull her out whole but the 4wheeler couldn't do it. Instead I sawed her in half. It was tough work with the little saw. I think the bigger saw would have led to less strokes and quicker work

It seems that most people prefer the longer saw.

OP
J

Jerry P

FNG
Not real sure what your intended use for the Wyoming saw is but if you're looking to buck up wood a much better alternative is the Sven-Saw, the Famous Campfire Folding Saw. I use mine for cutting larger logs for the tipi stove. It's superlight and doesn't take up much space so it goes anywhere the tipi and stove go. It's not intended for cutting bone so if that's your primary use stick with the Wyoming saw. I do suppose you could get a fine toothed blade.

It would be for both wood and bone.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
My moose hunting partners in AK and myself have the Wyoming Saw 2. Definitely get the longer saw, the short saw isn't practical as the draw length is too short. It makes quick work of both wood and bone, and the extra blades are cheap and light. I really like the unit and have gotten lots of use out of it during camping and wheeler hunts. The case is cheap, and a little cheesy with it's belt clip, but that's a minor issue. If I lost mine, i'd buy it again, i don't feel the need to look elsewhere. Also, the blades are relatively easy to find, lot's of places stock them.

The bone blade works really well, i'm not sure if the Sven-saw has a bone blade.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I had the regular Wyoming saw for years and lost it. I am looking at replacing it with the Saw 2 for the extra length. I really like it a lot and had no issues with mine at all. I have a Idaho saw now that is not near as good as the Wyoming.

I carry the little one when I need to break down a deer, but blocking out an elk rack with it is tough. I have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has had one since probably mid to late 90's never changed blades. He's not easy on equipment either. Its not used much for wood but usually saws a few skull caps off a year. If you are going to pack a saw they don't come much more versatile and durable than these.

fuzznuts

FNG
I have had one for years, I think they are a great tool. Get the longer version it is the most useful. One time I thought I would cut some weight and got a shorter blade and left a couple pieces at home(essentially making it the short version Wyoming saw). Found out the hard way it takes forever to cut a scull cap off a bull with such a short stroke.

OP
J

Jerry P

FNG
I had intended to buy the longer one but while in Utah for the Sportsman show the other week I picked up the shorter one from Sportsmans. Guess I should have just ordered one.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
my pack will never be without my longer size Wyoming saw.
used the same one for 22 years straight. Take apart compact, mine has cordura long case with strap, belt buckle and separate dividers for saw parts. Have cut wood for my Paratipi wood stove, now my new 18" cylinder stove too. Wood blade works good, only blade I have replaced.
my bone blades are still the original and they have cut up many bull skulls.

excaliber

WKR
I have the smaller saw and I too wish I had purchased the longer model. The small one works fine but the larger one seems to have much better leverage and is much easier to cut with.