Wyoming region W ?

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Naw, Dave help me pack out my bull a few years ago. He would expect nothing less.
Hell yes ! Can’t have feelers around guys I hunt with ! Funny thing about packing Ryan’s bull was that the only reason I was hanging out with Ryan was I was tired and needed a rest day...we got back to camp around midnight if I remember correctly :) . I’ll never forget seeing that bull get hammered at 1583 yards ! Great stuff !

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Another question. How limited is the wood supply for my woodstove ? Should I plan on needing to carry wood if I want heat in my Sawtooth ?

Another question. How limited is the wood supply for my woodstove ? Should I plan on needing to carry wood if I want heat in my Sawtooth ?
You've got a ton of beetle kill in the timber. You'll have plenty of wood for your stove. ;)

Big Ern

WKR
I have hunted W many times. Don’t worry about health issues. Tons and tons of roads everywhere. But, double edged sword since there are a LOT of road hunters/atv. A lot of ok bucks in the unit, but the big boys are very difficult to find and will lay up in the big private ranches. Plenty of wood to find.

i really like the vast, wide open spaces of W. Not particularly scenic at first glance, but it is beautiful in its own, unique way. Rolling, ridges of sage give way to pockets of orange and yellow aspens slithering down the creases like an eel.

You’re gonna have fun. Good luck

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I have hunted W many times. Don’t worry about health issues. Tons and tons of roads everywhere. But, double edged sword since there are a LOT of road hunters/atv. A lot of ok bucks in the unit, but the big boys are very difficult to find and will lay up in the big private ranches. Plenty of wood to find.

i really like the vast, wide open spaces of W. Not particularly scenic at first glance, but it is beautiful in its own, unique way. Rolling, ridges of sage give way to pockets of orange and yellow aspens slithering down the creases like an eel.

You’re gonna have fun. Good luck
Thanks ! I’m not really concerned with big antlers so a bunch of just ok bucks is great in my book. I’d be completely happy to find an old sway backed pot bellied forky way past his prime.

rootacres

WKR
We pulled two bucks out of that region in 2019. Two for two on both our first DIY backcountry hunts. Feel free to reach out if you want. Some of that region was great elk country, not so great for deer. Other parts had some deer and not so great on elk.

dmlensch

FNG
We pulled two bucks out of that region in 2019. Two for two on both our first DIY backcountry hunts. Feel free to reach out if you want. Some of that region was great elk country, not so great for deer. Other parts had some deer and not so great on elk.
Hey root - I'd love to pick your brain a little about your experience in Region W. I was lucky enough to draw a deer tag this year so I'm trying to get some research done and put a plan together.

I'm just getting back into Rokslide here after quite a few years so I apologize if I'm a little rough on the ins and outs of how to use the site. Would you mind sending me a dm if you're interested in sharing some knowledge?

Thanks!