Wyoming plan, need your advice

Flyjunky

WKR
I'm looking for some advice from the Rokslide braintrust on hunting Wyoming over the next few years.

A little backstory...I grew up in Iowa before moving out to Oregon when I was 13. During the 70's and early 80's my dad and his friends would drive out to Wyoming every year to hunt and he just loved it. He hasn't been back there to hunt since then and a few years ago, as age is creeping up, he mentioned that he wants to go back and hunt. So we started buying points and right now we have 3 deer, 3 antelope, and 2 elk points, we already bought points for this year. We are planning to do our first hunt next year.

We are looking to do one hunt each year but I'm struggling on what order to do them in when you take into account the points needed for a "decent" hunt for each species. I'm not real concerned about shooting anything of particular size but I know he would like to get a decent antelope and any bull would be a success in his eyes. More than anything he wants to have a great hunt, some chances at animals, and for us to experience Wyoming since I was way to young to go with him back in the day.

Right now I'm leaning deer, antelope, and then elk? Is it really going to make a difference on the quality of the unit/general area by waiting one year to gain an extra point for a certain species? Here in Oregon, for the most part, a 1 point difference, makes very little difference in getting a better unit.

With all that being said, what order would you go with the amount of points we have? If it makes any difference in your thoughts my dad will be in his 70's so the super steep and deep stuff is mostly out of the cards for deer and elk. He really likes the breaks/open type country.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Laramie

WKR
Take a look at draw odds - https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds

There are some ok antelope and deer hunts you can draw with lower points. These aren't great hunts but you should be able to shoot something.

As far as elk, you are going to be waiting quite a while to draw something other than a general tag or a cow tag. General will likely take you another 3-4 years of points to reach in the regular draw or 2-3 in the special. This is assuming no changes. However, changes to the Wyoming system are likely in the next few years so it's anyone's best guess. Good limited quota elk hunts are taking 15+ points currently. Your dad will likely never reach the number of points required for one of those. In your shoes, considering your dads age, I would look hard at ranch style hunts in general areas for at least elk and probably deer. I think you guys would have a much higher chance of success and it would be much easier on him physically.

Good luck.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
Take a look at draw odds - https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds

There are some ok antelope and deer hunts you can draw with lower points. These aren't great hunts but you should be able to shoot something.

As far as elk, you are going to be waiting quite a while to draw something other than a general tag or a cow tag. General will likely take you another 3-4 years of points to reach in the regular draw or 2-3 in the special. This is assuming no changes. However, changes to the Wyoming system are likely in the next few years so it's anyone's best guess. Good limited quota elk hunts are taking 15+ points currently. Your dad will likely never reach the number of points required for one of those. In your shoes, considering your dads age, I would look hard at ranch style hunts in general areas for at least elk and probably deer. I think you guys would have a much higher chance of success and it would be much easier on him physically.

Good luck.
Thanks Laramie, I appreciate the response.

I've briefly scanned through the draw odds, mostly for antelope. As far as elk and deer we would definitely be looking at general hunts, my dad can't wait years and years.

So would you go antelope, deer, and then elk?

wapitibob

WKR
Elk will likely be regions in 2024, special price will be $1950. You won’t have an issue drawing an elk tag under those conditions with the points you will have.
Special deer/antelope will be $1200, again, no issue drawing a few areas at that price with your points.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
Elk will likely be regions in 2024, special price will be $1950. You won’t have an issue drawing an elk tag under those conditions with the points you will have.
Special deer/antelope will be $1200, again, no issue drawing a few areas at that price with your points.
Thanks Wapiti, except for those price increases!

This really makes me upset I didnt draw by Pronghorn and Elk tags this year. Dang point creep got me bad. Hopefully I can draw next year but I am guessing a lot of people will be trying to cash out with those increases coming. Sucks.

Following. I just came back from a week of backpacking in the wind River Range. My first time outside of Jackson and Tetons trips. I now have a bad “I wanna hunt Wyoming” itch. Gotta figure out how to scratch it.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
for those that commented....what order would you choose to hunt?

I'm going to start researching after our elk season here in Oregon.

Laramie

WKR
for those that commented....what order would you choose to hunt?

I'm going to start researching after our elk season here in Oregon.
That is something only you can answer after weighing your options. Antelope population are drastically down right now in Wyoming making it tough to draw anything decent. Who knows how long the recovery will take? You can draw very mediocre deer hunts next year but in your shoes I would wait until after the price hikes as you would likely be able to draw a better area where your old man has a true chance at a decent buck. Wyoming still draws some tags from the random pool. If you can swing it, apply for all three in tough to draw areas. Apply together in a pool so you either both draw or neither draws. Maybe you will get lucky and draw a good tag for one of the species. If not, you will build points for future years.

Rich M

WKR
Just use the WY FG info. They tell you how many applied, how many hunted, what success rate, what the public land access is like, the feed, and in some cases, where to hunt. It is amazing how much information they provide. You'll get some off the hunt selector maps and some out of the downloadable drawn/success info on the website. You can also find a GIS map that shows the numbered roads (those are county roads where legal access comes from).

Good luck and have fun with the old guys.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
Just use the WY FG info. They tell you how many applied, how many hunted, what success rate, what the public land access is like, the feed, and in some cases, where to hunt. It is amazing how much information they provide. You'll get some off the hunt selector maps and some out of the downloadable drawn/success info on the website. You can also find a GIS map that shows the numbered roads (those are county roads where legal access comes from).

Good luck and have fun with the old guys.
Thank you.

I'm just looking forward to my dad having 3 great hunts and whatever is harvested will be icing on the cake. We've been steelhead fishing in BC, hunting elk in Montana, and chasing tuna off the Oregon coast.....whatever is harvested is just icing on the cake, it's all about him having a great time!