Wyoming Mule deer 2013

2rocky

WKR
We have some good folks on this forum. Many of you contributed to my knowledge of the unit and I appreciate your help...

I hunted Mon -Wed in the Last full week of September with my bow. Had 2 little bucks at 27 yards at full draw and passed.. When the Snow started piling up I pulled my camp and went to the Big Sandy Country where it snowed on me again.

I managed to get out to hunt some antelope Sat/ Sun. I'll do a post in the Antelope forum with those..

Went back to my unit for the Rifle season. No action on opening day except for a little buck a long way away at first light. Crossed some bear tracks that puckered my partners pretty tight...

1375747_10202091605480343_1291605249_n.jpg

(dad and I during the hunt)

Next morning my dad and uncle were vehemently protesting going to "Bear Country" I cajoled them in to accompanying me. At daylight down low we saw a buck skylined. I tried a stalk and he bailed into the thick cover...I was pissed. So we drove the truck to a wide spot in the road and parked and walked the edge of the trees until 10 am. No action except for moose hunters.

So we turned around and walked back to the truck. We were debating whether to set up and glass there when a buck stood up and ambled into the trees not 50 yards away.

I sprinted into the trees and he looked at me like I caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. I shot him (through the shoulder) at bow range with my .300 win mag. I was ready to be done hunting...
1378838_10202091609120434_2131586947_n.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
Awesome deer and excellent story. You got to love animals who stand 5 ft in front of you laughing when you have no weapon; stand just outside of bow range when you have no rifle (or its not rifle season) and when they finally do cooperate, you have your rifle when you get them at bow range!

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Dad is 71. Uncle is 68. They still can Ride horseback all day for a week.

This week dad is Pheasant hunting in southern North Dakota. He gets around pretty ok!