Wyoming license proposals, big cuts to Antelope.

I posted this would happen a year ago... So did several other members. Writing was on the wall and honestly they need to cut more tags imo.

Yeah I was expecting it to be much worse. Another rough winter on the key units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
Has WF&G ever eliminated doe tags for a year?

If you watch the biologists video on the WGFD website they talk about doe tags being reduced to 25 and something about that being the minimum amount, so I'm thinking no, 25 is the least amount.
Going to a meeting next week, going to ask if they'd entertain cutting doe tags for the year, and changing the verbiage on the type 1 and 2 licenses from any Antelope to buck only. Figure if that saves a few does across several hunt areas that's a good thing. My comments are focused on hunt areas 1-46.

Last edited:

bdan68

WKR
They've eliminated doe tags in many units, for more than just a year. A unit I hunted in 2019 in which myself and my partner took 4 does, there have been zero doe tags since. That year I think there were 150 tags.

Rackmastr

WKR
Small increase of tags in the one zone that we're considering applying for a tag for my wife this year, and the other remained the same. Both zones that require pretty high points so hopefully can at least make a decision between the 2 (or 3). Sure hasnt been a great few years but Covid has kept us from travelling so we're hopeful to draw and head down and make a hunt of it regardless

Damn. I was planning a trip in October this year for antelope/deer. When I first checked I could draw both tags as a secondary draw 100%. Now there is a 0% chance I draw without burning my points, which I have zero intention to do. Based on the conversations I had with the G&F agents this was pretty necassary. Hopefully the herds can rebound this year.

Rich M

WKR
So...

2020 - 58,206 licenses
2021 - 50,231 licenses
2022 - 42,456 licenses
Big difference there.

Nice to see that most of the cuts are to doe tags. Hoping that the hunters will self-preserve the herd and skip the doe tags for the next couple of years as well.

Can hope...

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I am booked with Bighorn Outfitters for 2023.
I will have to talk to Dustin to see if this will affect our hunt.

Also have a hunt lined up for 2023, its a trespass hunt for mulies and goats, just have to see what happens. First hunt in the area I hunt was just antelope drew with 0 points that was 2019, will go in the draw for 2023 with 3 antelope and two deer points. Never shot does of any type and will not start now.

Jimss

WKR
I used to see literally hundreds of antelope driving through Wyo. Those same areas during the same dates today are almost void of antelope. Some areas have ok numbers but overall it is the worse I have seen for years. I agree that they could cut numbers even more. Keep your fingers crossed that summer drought, winterkill, and ehd don’t hit in the next few years or it could potentially be a lot worse than it currently is

Erict

WKR
...Nice to see that most of the cuts are to doe tags. Hoping that the hunters will self-preserve the herd and skip the doe tags for the next couple of years as well.

Can hope...

I support cuts when backed by "science", but I do not understand the concept of "self-preserve". If WYFG issues 100 doe tags for a given area, aren't they the experts saying that this area with a "success" rate of 50% can stand to lose 50 doe?

Demand vastly exceeds the supply for most tags, so if you don't buy the tag, someone else probably will. WY F&G establishes quotas based on data including harvest surveys, field observations, etc. Buying a tag and not using it just lowers the "success" rate used in computing tag allocations - lower rate means they increase tag allocations assuming the same harvest objective.

If there is a problem with tag allocations from WY F&G then data/facts should be available to prove them wrong. I prefer they establish those numbers rather than the WY legislature, outfitters or a disorganized group of hunters.

BuzzH

WKR
I support cuts when backed by "science", but I do not understand the concept of "self-preserve". If WYFG issues 100 doe tags for a given area, aren't they the experts saying that this area with a "success" rate of 50% can stand to lose 50 doe?

Demand vastly exceeds the supply for most tags, so if you don't buy the tag, someone else probably will. WY F&G establishes quotas based on data including harvest surveys, field observations, etc. Buying a tag and not using it just lowers the "success" rate used in computing tag allocations - lower rate means they increase tag allocations assuming the same harvest objective.

If there is a problem with tag allocations from WY F&G then data/facts should be available to prove them wrong. I prefer they establish those numbers rather than the WY legislature, outfitters or a disorganized group of hunters.
Just because I have a tag or just because one is issued doesn't mean it has to be filled.

I'll be getting tags in a local unit for doe pronghorn and pitching them again this year.

Been hunting that unit for 22 years and it's been in the skids for the last 10.