Wyoming Hunter Fined $10,000 for Mistaking a Grizzly for a Black Bear

I disagree. He owned the mistake, and it kept him out of jail. Owning up to a mistake is responsible, but it doesn't entitle anyone to avoiding punishment altogether. Good on this man for owning the mistake. At the end of the day he illegally killed a protected animal, there should be a penalty so he should own that too. He also broke one of the most fundamental firearm safety rules in that he wasn't sure of his target.

COelk89

FNG
Yeah that is BS. Poachers that get caught without ever reporting get off with far less punishment, especially first time offenders. I would not have taken that plea deal. Not sure where he was in court but a jury of peers in Wyoming may have let him off with nothing.

Yeah that is BS. Poachers that get caught without ever reporting get off with far less punishment, especially first time offenders. I would not have taken that plea deal. Not sure where he was in court but a jury of peers in Wyoming may have let him off with nothing.
To me it's not in question whether this deserved punishment, which I believe it did, but a separate issue altogether that I think is valid that poachers generally aren't being punished severely enough.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me it's not in question whether this deserved punishment, which I believe it did, but a separate issue altogether that I think is valid that poachers generally aren't being punished severely enough.
To play devils advocate for this argument-- if poaching a "trophy" buck or bull the fines are required by law to be increased. In this case won't a grizzly has to be considered above a "trophy" since NO ONE can hunt them in wyoming?

Also I think when Wyoming proposed a grizzly tag the price tag was 8000 or 10000 dollars anyways.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

COelk89

FNG
The punishment just does not fit the crime. You are totally right, he broke a cardinal rule and should be mighty embarrassed and owe something. But the whole point of hunting ethics is "to do the right thing even when no one is looking." Well this guy did the right thing and got a fine exceeding what folks regularly get for committing felony offences.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The punishment just does not fit the crime. You are totally right, he broke a cardinal rule and should be mighty embarrassed and owe something. But the whole point of hunting ethics is "to do the right thing even when no one is looking." Well this guy did the right thing and got a fine exceeding what folks regularly get for committing felony offences.
What is a grizzly valued at?

Edit just looked it up Wyoming proposed tag fee is 7500

They did the right thing by calling it in. 10K is not an amount that will easily be paid by most people, even the honest. I have seen pictures of black bears that looked (enough) like a griz but not a griz that looked like a black.

I'm sure this isn't the first time it has happened.

grfox92

WKR
This happened in my area. He brought the bear to a check station and self reported. Game and Fish even said that the bear was damn near jet black in color. I think $10k is excessive.

They just found a dead grizz with bullet holes in it very close to where this happened. It was just dead off the side of the highway. If that person gets caught, what is their fine? $100k and jail time?

I feel worse for the kid. He's going to go to high school as the kid who mistakenly shot a grizzly bear in a town where hunting is life.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I seen an 875 lb black bear killed within 30 min of my house. It was enormous. The deer hanging next to it looked like a rabbit. It was the size of a Grizzly. I think $10k is pretty steep for an honest mistake and owning up to it. If you mistakenly shoot an illegal buck in my area it's a $25 fine and they take the deer. At least they aren't putting him in jail.

t_carlson

WKR
I'll just leave this here...

Except as otherwise provided in this subsection or subsection (h) or (m) of this section, a person convicted of violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by...a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), or both.

On a second offense...the person may be fined not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00) nor more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00).

On a third offense...the person may be fined not less than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) nor more than three thousand dollars ($3,000.00).

On a fourth offense...he shall be guilty of a felony and fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00), punished by imprisonment for not more than seven (7) years, or both.

DUI penalties found in 31-5-233(e).

OP
MrRogers

MrRogers

FNG
I disagree. He owned the mistake, and it kept him out of jail. Owning up to a mistake is responsible, but it doesn't entitle anyone to avoiding punishment altogether. Good on this man for owning the mistake. At the end of the day he illegally killed a protected animal, there should be a penalty so he should own that too. He also broke one of the most fundamental firearm safety rules in that he wasn't sure of his target.
I'm not saying he should have avoided punishment, or that fine should have only been $25, but $10K just seems excessive when there wasn't nefarious intent. If the authorities want cooperation from the public then don't fine them $10K when they do cooperate.

Laramie

WKR
Right or wrong is an opinion everyone is entitled to but the fine amount is intentionally high to make hunters nervous about shooting a grizzly by mistake. If the fine were $1500, I think more hunters would be willing to take gambles on questionable bears.

10k seems high but beats jail time and even higher fines.

svivian

WKR
I seen an 875 lb black bear killed within 30 min of my house. It was enormous. The deer hanging next to it looked like a rabbit. It was the size of a Grizzly. I think $10k is pretty steep for an honest mistake and owning up to it. If you mistakenly shoot an illegal buck in my area it's a $25 fine and they take the deer. At least they aren't putting him in jail.
Wow only 5 pounds shy of the world record