Wyoming Elk - Where are you applying?

Wyoming Elk 2024 - Where are you applying

• Total voters
Not yet, but perhaps trending towards meaningful (if respondents are truthful). 79 responses (as of this post) in a state that gets 10,000+ applicants isn't quite statistically meaningful yet.

What would you consider statistically meaningful? 79 responses where N = 10,000 can give a 90% confidence of 10% margin of error. That's enough for me to throw something at a wall, and especially in an information vacuum like what we are in.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to draw my first Wyoming elk tag this year with 5 points in general south. Hope the point dump don’t hit too hard 🤷🏻‍♂️
You do know that area got hit hard last year with winter kill.
I archery hunted CO on the WY boarder ‘22 & ‘23. It was a ghost town for critters last fall. Locals weren’t even hunting.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
The funny part is going to be seeing all the guys putting in special thinking there will be improved odds, only to find out they could have drawn the same tag, with the same points in the regular. Too many guys with points, and too few tags for there to be any significant change in odds with the price increase.
I am thinking the same.

What would you consider statistically meaningful? 79 responses where N = 10,000 can give a 90% confidence of 10% margin of error. That's enough for me to throw something at a wall, and especially in an information vacuum like what we are in.
It's only about 200. One would use the same calculators to figure out how many survey respondents makes a meaningful sample of hunters to predict application patterns as one would use to figure out the number of voters to poll in a primary (for instance). Again, that estimate is predicated on people being truthful in what they say, it truly being representative, etc.

I'd guess if you were throwing spaghetti, you might be able to toss it with some hope now

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Assuming most of the responses are honest and accurate, below is the data charted for 1.19.24. I broke out the LE Regular and Special vote based upon the ratio from 2023 first choice applicant data, which was 72:28. Nothing new here we haven't heard before...West regular lines up with WY split, east looks like it's going to be easier to draw with less points and a few folks in the South regular may want to consider going into the special to draw their tag.

WY Data 1.19.2024.JPG

No surprise at all. The special tag is the cheapest part of elk hunting. Especially for guys that have just gotten into in the past 5 years that live back east. Acquiring gear, time off, and travel is a higher barrier to entry. Most guys back east hunt woods goats on single digit acreages, or pay stupid amounts of money to lease land that is higher pressured than a lot of public dirt out west. 700 more bucks to have hundreds of thousands of acres of wild land to explore isn’t stopping them. 700 bucks is less than a handful of trips to the grocery store anymore. It’s not going to get easier to get tags anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the other hand, for guys who aren’t new to the game a $2000 would be the most expensive part of the hunt. I don’t need any gear at all. My biggest cost is the license in the fuel to get there to Hunt. My other major cost is horse leasing. Once you have camping gear, camping is free.

I can’t imagine, jumping into elk hunting at this day and age. So many products to choose from. Learning from your mistakes can be expensive. It’s pretty obvious when you look at the classified ads. Tons of lightweight tents and teepees and cheap Vortex optics for sale. That means they’re either getting out of elk hunting or buying real tents and gear. In that case yes a $2000 license wouldn’t seem like such a big deal when you’re dying to get out there and try out your $10,000 worth of new stuff. Lol.

fatlander

WKR
On the other hand, for guys who aren’t new to the game a $2000 would be the most expensive part of the hunt. I don’t need any gear at all. My biggest cost is the license in the fuel to get there to Hunt. My other major cost is horse leasing. Once you have camping gear, camping is free.

I can’t imagine, jumping into elk hunting at this day and age. So many products to choose from. Learning from your mistakes can be expensive. It’s pretty obvious when you look at the classified ads. Tons of lightweight tents and teepees and cheap Vortex optics for sale. That means they’re either getting out of elk hunting or buying real tents and gear. In that case yes a $2000 license wouldn’t seem like such a big deal when you’re dying to get out there and try out your $10,000 worth of new stuff. Lol.

You’re really not far off on that number at all.

2500-3500 for a flagship bow, accessories, release, arrows and broadheads

2k for binos, RF, and tripod

400 for mountain boots

800 for a top tier pack

1k for an ultralight 3 season sleep system

1-2k in clothing

1k in travel

2k for the tag is just another number on the balance sheet. I’d pay quite a bit more than 2k to hunt elk every year, and I know I’m not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk