Wyoming Cow Elk Hunt near good antelope unit

RAU

FNG
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is going antelope hunting in Wyoming with his father and brother they’re applying as a party and each has 5 points. They don’t know which unit they’re applying to just yet.

I want to find an Elk unit with fairly decent draw odds for a reduced price cow tag.

My plan would be to hopefully hitch a ride with them to Wyoming and get dropped of with my backpack and rifle and get lost for a few days and with any luck kill a cow elk.

Any suggestions for an easy to draw cow elk unit thats kinda close to a good antelope unit that a guy can draw with 5 points with overlapping seasons on both species?

I’m asking for a lot aren’t i ?

Thanks in advance!!

Don

wapitibob

WKR
Put something on paper then modify after they apply for the pronghorn. Be advised, type 6 licenses are usually difficult to draw. You could also apply for both full price and reduced, then modify one and withdraw the other.

OP
R

RAU

FNG
Thanks for the response. To clarify your saying just pick any unit to apply then change after the draw depending on leftover licenses or what?

Looking back at what I’m asking I’m realizing I’m asking for a lot. Not looking for anyone’s secret spot or anything just unit. Anyone Feel free to PM if you don’t want to respond publicly

bdan68

WKR
It's a difficult question to answer because first you need to know where your friend will be antelope hunting. And there aren't a lot of options with 5 points, unless he's willing to go into the special draw. So first figure out what unit he's applying for. The suggestion to just apply for something now is because you would have until May 8th to modify your application which gives you and your friend a lot more time to figure out where you might want to go. Maybe you could offer to pay the difference for him to do the special draw rather than the regular, as it could get you into an area of the state that has more elk along with more public land.

OP
R

RAU

FNG
Thanks, ok now I understand. My friend and family will be going in special antelope draw with 5 points each. Gotta spend some time on OnX tonight

I agree with wapitibob. Those type 6 tags are really low odds. One of the ones I like to hunt is almost the same odds as a bull (below 5%). The leftovers are typically in difficult to access areas due to private. Feel free to pm me with areas you’re looking at.