Wyoming Corner Hopping

Jdog

WKR
Gents - can we corner hop or not?

Did the 10th circuit court hear and rule on the case/initial ruling?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the good news is that the WY G&F won't do anything with corner crossing (IF it's done properly, 1/8 mile off and you'll very likely get a citation); the bad news is that if a county prosecutor decided to prosecute and/or a county Sheriff's office is willing to cite you—you'll have to deal with that.

There is better than a fair chance you'll probably beat it in court, but that will take some time and $.

My take is that there is a lot more folks willing to corner cross than there was 5 years ago and beyond just Wyoming.

Nothing has been 100% determined; both sides are starting to dig in and spending money—I think the side that is against corner crossing sadly is spending more money.

I'd say a call to the county sheriff would be in order to see if they write tickets or not.

BowBaboon

FNG
This is just my opinion, and nothing more, but I don’t think the average sheriff or prosecuting attorney is going to touch a corner crossing case (issue citation) until this is worked out.
From what I remember, the person that issued a citation in the Iron Bar Holdings case didn’t really want to. It seemed like they really weren’t sure of the law, but were pressured to issue the citation by the ranch manager.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The WG&F wardens have been told they aren't to touch them; that leaves the country Sheriff's office—as stated above the likelihood of a county wanting to go through what Carbon County did is very slim, not zero, but very close.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In other news, in Montana a hunter was charged for corner crossing—the county attorney turned the case over to the state's AG for prosecution. A trial date was set for this past December, the AG's office dismissed the case just before trial.

The hunter had saved his track(s) in his gps, pretty good idea if one is going to do it.

TaperPin

WKR
I predict there will be a number of landowner confrontations because of this. Just because something might be technically legal, doesn’t mean it comes with no risk. I’ve seen crazy families padlock county roads to keep people off the land they have a grazing lease on, and the sherif just sits it out - law enforcement often has to pick their battles with crazy people. Having grown up in Wyoming, I’d corner hop very very carefully - I should say I won’t be doing it, but someone who is going to do it should be very very careful.

TaperPin

WKR
It should also be said, if a sherif deputy is standing right next to you, it doesn’t prevent a landowner from coming out with a gun to confront you - or his son with PTSD, a healthy addiction to pain meds and half a bottle of vodka in his gut. There are plenty of crazies with nothing to lose and looking for a fight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should also be said, if a sherif deputy is standing right next to you, it doesn’t prevent a landowner from coming out with a gun to confront you - or his son with PTSD, a healthy addiction to pain meds and half a bottle of vodka in his gut. There are plenty of crazies with nothing to lose and looking for a fight.
Yeah it's a crazy world out there

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk