Wyoming antelope doe

Hey guys, drew my first antelope tag and it’s for a doe. I have never hunted antelope and just looking for some advice, what do look for, how they might act, rookie dos and donts, that sort of simple thing. Leaving end of September so I can be in unit on opener, but figured I’d throw out a line and see what kind of tips/tricks I can maybe get to help be successful.

I’ll be bringing along my Christensen 6.5 PRC and hoping to keep the shot under 400yrds, but only boots on the ground will decide range. Thanks in advance!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
In most areas, this will likely be really easy as long as there are antelope on the huntable ground and not too much pressure. They are super easy to see since they have white patches on their sides and they live in the open. They use sight and distance as their primary defense against predators.

I would start my focus on areas near watering holes since they go to water often.

sndmn11

WKR
1) Look for a horned doe and do a euro mount, especially if it she has prongs. That might make the hunt more challenging.
2) Get her skinned, quartered, and deboned (if you are into deboning) and on ice immediately. Pronghorn meat is outstanding.
3) Aim at the ribs half way back to 2/3rds back; stay well away from the shoulder on both entrance and exit.
4) Walk one ridge way from the road and sit there glassing for a while.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I second the euro with a nice doe. You can find some dandies, 4" range. Make sure you can identify a young buck from a doe, look for the black cheek mark as the WY Regs state.

Otherwise, you should have no issues putting boots on the ground and making a good stalk and shot. Just get out there.

EdP

WKR
I have only hunted pronghorn in eastern Wy so that's all I can tell you about. In early Oct it can be a blizzard with temps below freezing or sunny and 60-70 degrees in the afternoon. My experience has mostly been morning temps just below freezing and 60-70 in the afternoon. Shade is a very rare commodity in pronghorn country so you need to be prepared to deal with a downed animal quickly. My DIY kills have been within 3/4 mile of the road in Walk-In Areas. After an animal is down I gut it and head to the truck for my deer cart and a couple of bags of ice. Once back at the carcass the ice goes in the body cavity with the animal on the cart. By the time I get back to the truck 30 minutes later, the meat is well on its way to being cooled. I skin and breakdown right on the roadside and get the meat bagged and on ice in a cooler. I've done it with help from fellow hunters by hanging the animal from a back leg on a 6' wood fence post. I now have a trailer hitch mounted hoist that makes it easy to do by myself.

Pronghorn can be in any of the dips between fingers along the low ridges. You can mix sitting and glassing with walking. Avoid letting yourself get skylined. Have fun hunting some new and different terrain. Like Oregonmuley said, shoot a nice big one. They sure are tasty.

I'll be heading out myself in early Oct.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A willingness to put in some effort, if needed, and the ability to shoot are all you need. Update: Based on one of your other posts you might have a tough job to fill a tag. Show up a day early and scout, be in position at least an hour before daylight, and shoot the first one you see opening morning.

Watch out if the roads get wet. OnX is your best friend. Good luck.

P.S. Don’t bone out the shoulders or shanks. Just throw them in a slow cooker. Thank me later.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
A willingness to put in some effort, if needed, and the ability to shoot are all you need. Update: Based on one of your other posts you might have a tough job to fill a tag. Show up a day early and scout, be in position at least an hour before daylight, and shoot the first one you see opening morning.

P.S. Don’t bone out the shoulders or shanks. Just throw them in a slow cooker. Thank me later.
This is it. Put em to bed and be there in the morning. Shoot the first good opportunity.

OP
dannysanch94

Are you referring to the unit I got, as far as might be hard filling tag?

And yeah going to give it best try, a couple people I know who have hunted unit have dropped me OnX pins of where they get them, so fingers crossed.

OP
dannysanch94
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the tips and advice, going to give it my best and hope to get it done within the weekend.

JFK

WKR
Get the meat cooled quickly. They aren’t needed, but I brought a gambrel that mounts to my trucks receiver and it’s nice to get them up off the ground to skin them quickly. Keep the hair off the meat.

Don’t underestimate their vision. They can see incredibly well and will get skittish when they see people on foot waking towards them even at long distances. Walking the long way around them using cover and topography to get closer is key.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you referring to the unit I got, as far as might be hard filling tag?

And yeah going to give it best try, a couple people I know who have hunted unit have dropped me OnX pins of where they get them, so fingers crossed.
Yes. I thought it was a unit with pretty limited public. If it is, I wouldn’t mess around and would get the tag filled. Good luck

wytx

WKR
Make sure you know the difference between a young buck and a doe with horns, the black cheek patch.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman