WY Unit 48

I’m happy to say that I have a Wyoming unit 48-1 tag in my pocket for this fall after not pulling on 8 other western draws! In addition, I did secure the Hanna Draw HMA in the southern part of the unit, which will open up close to 96,000 acres in the BLM checkerboard region.

I’m looking to anyone who is open to share their past experience in this unit and willing to share their advice. Not looking for honey holes or exact spots but just general advice and how their hunt panned out. What to look or lookout for? Current goat herd condition/population? South end better than the north?

I did call and email the local bio and game warden for the area and have not heard anything back now for a few weeks.

This will be a DIY hunt and planning on camping out in the prairies on BLM wherever the goat herd leads me and have a good amount of time allotted for this tag as everything else fell through.

Unfortunately I will not have time to scout this area pre-season but do intend on arriving a full 2-3 days prior of the season to get a feel for the land and hopefully locate a mature shooter. There were 150 tags issued in the draw for type 1 and the HMA was limited to 50 permits. So, I do anticipate seeing others, especially the first few days of the season, which will open on a Sunday this year. Also, I do intend to hunt right off the bat and not skip the opener, despite other folks around.

I’d really appreciate if anyone has any feedback and feel free to message me directly. Thanks!

OH_Tony

FNG
Good luck on the hunt! We'll be right next door in 47. First antelope hunt for our group. Looking forward to getting back out west.

dpdub

FNG
I drew that tag as well, not sure what to expect as it is only my 2nd antelope tag since moving to Wyoming and I didn't draw the HMA. If you see an all black Ram with a shell, say hi.

KHNC

WKR
Be sure to come back and tell us all how it went. Just in case we want to hunt that "unit". Thanks

OP
Green_Back
To circle back on this thread and to keep my word, our unit 48 hunt was a success. The goat population was solid. Literally wherever you looked you could glass up a herd. It was pretty clear there is an age cap on most all of the bucks. Your upper 60s-low 70s buck was a dime a dozen, they all looked to same! We glassed over a few hundred head over the course of 2.5 days. May have seen 1 or 2 no-brainer whoppers likely pushing the magical 80" mark prior to season. Was it worth 7 NR points? mehh… It was an excellent unit, but I don’t know if I’d come back to seek a booner.

The big take away is how lazy other goat hunters are here. Both non-res and locals alike. We literally watched people just drive around on 2 tracks, open the door and walk about 10 feet and shoot. Miss a pile of goats, grab a different gun and shoot some more and then drive onto the next herd. I guess that could be expected but kind of disheartening to physically watch this.

The local outfitters have ALL the private tied up, which is basically all the drainage bottoms and water sources, which really reduces your access if you want to stay legal (they would not let you drive across on the 2 tracks which is understandable). The outfitters did let in a handful of “DIY Access Hunts” basically a $500 trespassing fee and those hunters literally drove everywhere and anywhere pushing herds around like no one’s business, messing up the entire northern half of the unit. We never made it down to the southern portion by Hanna. Was no need to.

You do NOT need private access to hunt this unit. Tons of BLM and goats literally everywhere. Didn’t see anyone until opening day, then the road hunters came out. For the good or bad about this unit, the access is too easy and too much of it. Legal 2 tracks literally everywhere making getting around easy, but that also bring in other hunters.

We camped out in the interior of the unit out in the BLM prairies, had a hoot and punched solid bucks with ease. No complaints. It was a heck of fun and simple cake hunt that went by too quick!

Hope everyone had a successful fall!

Attachments

• 20220925_151203.jpg
    20220925_151203.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220925_110019.jpg
    20220925_110019.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220924_173910.jpg
    20220924_173910.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 94