WY - MD population

Elite7

FNG
We just got back from the northeast side of the state. Last time I hunted was in 2018. It’s hard to believe the population drop could be that drastic but I think the 50% reduction is being optimistic. I would think it was more around 75%. Most of the mule deer does didn’t have fawns with them. The drought this year will most likely ruin the chance of good fawn numbers for next spring

Pardon my ignorance, but I’ve been chasing some deer around and can really only turn up spikes and 2x2s. How does one determine if a 2x2 is mature or still juvenile?
If their antlers are about the size of their ears and they're running around with the does in early season, they're not mature. Mature two points look like the buck below:
PXL_20240914_132902672.jpgPXL_20240914_132904268.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
I might be in the minority, but I hunt based on genetics and how nice the mountains look. Some of my largest deer were in years or areas with low populations. It’s like trying to get a photo of a bald eagle - rather than looking in every tree in an area with a large population, I’m happy looking in trees with actual nests in a low population spot.