WY - MD population

TxFly

FNG
Looking to start putting in with 6pts in Wy in 2025, but I have been hearing the population is down (on podcast). Also from what little info I've found at Wyoming G&F shows 2023 numbers are "50% down compared to a 40yr average". That sounds doom and gloom, and it might be but also looking for perspective from hunters. If anyone would be willing to share their field experience about the number of deer seen present season compared to past season. (Don't be specific) Also If you all have any helpful resources (links) to do my own research about state population as a whole I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

bayou0509

FNG
Classified Approved
The only info I have is from a late season rut/migration hunt in a coveted unit last year. While I saw a tremendous number of deer, the outfitter I hunted with gave me an overall impression that the numbers were generally lower than years prior.

I would struggle to believe 50% less deer, but I'm sure that number could easily be accurate in certain areas or pockets that suffered the worst from the difficult winters and CWD. The first confirmed case of CWD was confirmed by biologists in that coveted unit while I was in the area.

Wish I had more specific info, but that's my high level summary. I'm no seasoned veteran mule deer hunter.

Kurts86

WKR
I was really, really bad last fall when I drove across Wyoming in November for Mule deer and Pronghorn. Some areas it seemed like there was 1/10th the number of deer and pronghorn from past years. In a few days elk hunting I glassed up 1 mule deer doe in NW Wyoming in 2023 while I saw dozens of elk and quite a few moose. There were multiple bad winters in 2019 and 2022.

I have a similar number of points and I don’t anticipate deer hunting Wyoming for another 2-3 years assuming the winters are mild.

WYChap

FNG
I live in WY in an area we have a lot of wildlife around us and regularly around the property. It's been a number of years since I've been able to hunt, but I can say in central and northeast areas, the decline in mule deer and whitetail deer is very noticeable since the 2022 winter. Hard to say how much decline but apparent.