Wy Lope rebound?

BKIdaho

FNG
How does the population seem to be rebounding. Lots of fawns in the groups?

I was in 108 last yr in Oct for elk. Was surprised how many I saw given how many died there. My June scout trip was an eye opener of dead bodies.

j_volt

WKR
My drive across 80 this summer seemed significantly better than last year. Hoping they are bouncing back.

sambo3006

FNG
My drive across 80 this summer seemed significantly better than last year. Hoping they are bouncing back.
That's good to hear. I drove across the state on I 80 a couple of years ago and the antelope numbers were abysmal. We need several years of good fawn survival, hopefully it will happen.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen a lot of does with twins and triplets. Gives me hope. Overall the numbers are still very low, in 5 scouting trips I saw about as many antelope as I would of seen in hours time a few years ago. This is in south central Wyoming, I'm not sure about the rest of the state.

wytx

WKR
Some areas are looking better than others and we are in drought right now but monsoon coming.
Didn't see as many twins as I thought we would this summer around here.

wyosteve

WKR
Haven't seen hardly any fawns (deer or antelope) in SE Wyo. Drought all summer.

KHNC

WKR
Not sure how a "monsoon" is coming. I looked at SE wyoming forecast. No rain at all for next two weeks looks like.

go_deep

WKR
There isn’t going to be a “rebound.” Just like there isn’t going to be a Mule Deer rebound.

View attachment 747414

I think this is more of an accurate statement.

Going off what I've personally seen across the landscape since 2010, it's less and less every year. I travel all over the state, it's only continued to decline every single year.
Over and over again I've voiced my concerns to stop killing does, period, in person at the game and fish meetings and in submissions. Every single time I get told killing some does will not effect the population...
My family applies for doe licenses every year, then we shred them.

wytx

WKR
Not sure how a "monsoon" is coming. I looked at SE wyoming forecast. No rain at all for next two weeks looks like.
It is coming this week, do you just like to argue? Got .87 just the other night.
Screenshot 2024-08-09 084416.jpg

KHNC

WKR
It is coming this week, do you just like to argue? Got .87 just the other night.
View attachment 747849
Um no, do you? I looked at StormRadar for Saratoga WY yesterday and it had ZERO in the forecast for 10 days. That only shows a slight chance of rain, with no accumulation listed. .01 accumulation hardly qualifies as a monsoon.
Glad your going to be moist out there for a while though. Im sure it helps to cope with things.

Why do you guys think that the antelope are in such a decline. They reproduce quickly but they keep declining. I dont see a lot of development in WY so loss of habitat doesnt appear to be a factor.

That chart above is missing the last 10 years and I cant find anything more recent. Anyone have a more recent population chart?

Found this recent article. I guess development of oil and gas is an issue.

Last edited: