WY Grizzlies

Here's a couple of trail cam pics from the Island Park area, Grizzlys have really taken over. Buddy had one within 60 yards, luckily no encounters. I also have a video of a Grizz sow and cub but it wont upload.image000000 (1).jpgimage000000.jpg

cole96

FNG
I just got back from a guided thoroughfare elk hunt just outside YNP, probably in a similar area as the OP. 7 of 8 hunters in camp were successful. I believe 3 of the 7 bulls killed had GBears find them but i don't believe there was any meat lost to them. The bear that found my carcass started to dig a hole to burry it and then got sidetracked and took the antlers i put in a tree nearby and started skinning the skull for me. I personally saw 2 bears; 1 small one on the 1st day of hunting a few hundred yards from the park and 1 medium bear near camp on day 2 after we retrieved my elk. These are the good ole days boys and girls as it is just going to get worse if nothing changes.

View attachment 774410
What outfit did you go with

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted the Thorofare 4 times, so I have first hand knowledge of those bears. They have NO fear of humans. And I killed a bull in '17 with a rifle, so it was a 200 yard shot. Watched it drop in place. We get on the horses, ride down to the bull, and as we're quartering it, a big ass boar was sitting literally where I shot from. We poacher packed the meat out and came back for the head and horns the next day. We tied it to a tree. Obviously the boar was on the carcass and needless to say it was a nerve wracking event, even though we tied the head a good 150-200 yards from the carcass. He was even chewing on the head.
Fast forward to 2020, I arrowed a 350" bull. Got 2 arrows in him. They were a tad back but good hits. We give him an hour and a half to walk the quarter mile to get the horses and he bedded down after 200 yards. We came back the next day in broad daylight. Tracking him down the mountain, he's bleeding and stumbling, and all of a sudden there's grizz tracks...we find my bull 300 yards down the mountain after a sow with 2 small cubs buried my bull. Pack mules didn't wanna even come close to the bull it smelled so much of bears...it was a rodeo just getting them close...thank goodness there were three of us. My buddy was watching with the guides. 270...I'm holding the hind quarter while the guide was cutting it off...the bear comes charging down right at me/us, popping her jaws, hair on her shoulders all puffed up...stops 5 yards from us...a mule was tied up between us, spinning around the pine tree like crazy..as soon as it was out of the way, I fired 2 rounds at her face with my Glock. Not sure if I hit it, but she never came back...I'll obviously never forget that day...

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

I just got back from a guided thoroughfare elk hunt just outside YNP, probably in a similar area as the OP. 7 of 8 hunters in camp were successful. I believe 3 of the 7 bulls killed had GBears find them but i don't believe there was any meat lost to them. The bear that found my carcass started to dig a hole to burry it and then got sidetracked and took the antlers i put in a tree nearby and started skinning the skull for me. I personally saw 2 bears; 1 small one on the 1st day of hunting a few hundred yards from the park and 1 medium bear near camp on day 2 after we retrieved my elk. These are the good ole days boys and girls as it is just going to get worse if nothing changes.

View attachment 774410
Was this the September hunt or the early October?

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
I live near Cody and spend most of my time in the GYE. Im glad you got your elk and got it out. Ive lost elk and deer to bears it really sucks man. Ive hunted Kodiak and other areas of Ak as well and can confirm the bears in GYE are a different personality for sure. I have far more encounters during the spring than the fall somedays seeing 10-12 bears a day is not uncommon.

CJ19

WKR
I live near Cody and spend most of my time in the GYE. Im glad you got your elk and got it out. Ive lost elk and deer to bears it really sucks man. Ive hunted Kodiak and other areas of Ak as well and can confirm the bears in GYE are a different personality for sure. I have far more encounters during the spring than the fall somedays seeing 10-12 bears a day is not uncommon.
Dont you find it interesting that some people are from Washington and like to mock people for not enjoying being around large numbers of big bears all the time or when they are hunting? But when it comes time to discuss the re introduction of more grizzlies into the cascades in Washington by the Federal government, suddenly those very same people and all their hunttalk buddies are against such a thing.

KHNC

WKR
A buddy of mine just hunted NW WY. They killed three bulls, recovered all of them and nobody was eaten by a bear.
You think its been over stated about the bear population there and people are just paranoid?

KHNC

WKR
It's just a sad reminder of how few Grizzlies are on the landscape. If only everyone had an encounter with them while recreating....hopefully one day.
Such peaceful and beautiful creatures. Sorry, no time for this, im off to my hot yoga class.