WY BLM camping snakes

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
a cot solves this concern. Often for archery antelope when it is clear wether I may never put up a tent for a 7 day hunt. just a cot next to truck wherever they day ends up after sept and stalking across the hunt unit. And leaves me a lot more mobile and efficient.

ChrisS

WKR
I was fishing outside of Lander last weekend and just about stepped on a 4-5 footer. I took a step heard a rattle and a hiss and after I took my next step, I thought to myself, that sounded like a rattler. I looked back and sure enough there he was slithering away.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't seen a snake in 10 years of hunting from Rock Springs East North and South.
not likely to see them in the truck 😂

Depends on time of year and location. I’ve had 15 snake days by rock springs and in the same area a month later no snakes. Last time by Casper I saw the biggest rattlesnake I’ve seen in WY while chasing pronghorn.

If you see them don’t be a dick and kill them for no reason.

KenLee

WKR
Talking with the guy who woke up with a rattlesnake coiled up on his chest under the sleeping bag - apparently it wakes you up quickly and you have to do a gut check to either freak out and risk a bite, or be unnaturally quiet/calm and carefully open the sleeping bag and wait for the snake to peacefully leave on it’s own. Lol
Pretty sure I would have a heart attack

*zap*

WKR
snakes can climb trees and other objects easily....venomous snakes are always a concern here in n/e kansas....except when it is cold. They will look for a warmer spot to curl up....waking up to a copperhead or rattler next to you in the morning while your in a zipped up bag is unmatched by other outdoor experiances.

OP
nettereo16
Well there are way too many personal encounters of Roksliders cuddling snakes that I’ve ruled out the tarp on the ground.

I can rig a flat tarp to sleep in the bed of a truck in a couple minutes or bring a tent. A snake in the truck bed or under the tent floor seems a lot less likely or awful than a snake in the sleeping bag. IMG_1637.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
I heard something that said not everyone can smell a rattlesnake - it’s hard to describe the smell, but getting a whiff of one gives me the hebejeebies. Just talking about antelope puts their smell in my brain. Lol

mulecreek

FNG
Depends on time of year and location. I’ve had 15 snake days by rock springs and in the same area a month later no snakes.
Interesting for sure. I have lived in RS since 1997. I work outside everyday. I have seen a total of 0 rattlesnakes anywhere I would consider around RS. My son and in-laws saw 2 pygmy rattlers along the Gorge south of Green River a couple years ago. I have seen no more than maybe 3 bull snakes in this area, along the base of White Mnt.

Get over by Rawlins and its a different story for sure.

Fatcamp

WKR
not likely to see them in the truck 😂

Depends on time of year and location. I’ve had 15 snake days by rock springs and in the same area a month later no snakes. Last time by Casper I saw the biggest rattlesnake I’ve seen in WY while chasing pronghorn.

If you see them don’t be a dick and kill them for no reason.

Yup. I see or hear them regularly. We have an understanding, they don't bite me and I don't shoot them. Worked great so far.

🙃

For most of central wyo and wyo in general, bivy camping for antelope might not be necessary. Sleep in the truck bed and work the hunt hours. I've seen just as many foothill/rattlers near and in the mountains scouting as I have in the plains. I doubt you will have trouble getting into any goats this way

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting for sure. I have lived in RS since 1997. I work outside everyday. I have seen a total of 0 rattlesnakes anywhere I would consider around RS. My son and in-laws saw 2 pygmy rattlers along the Gorge south of Green River a couple years ago. I have seen no more than maybe 3 bull snakes in this area, along the base of White Mnt.

Get over by Rawlins and its a different story for sure.
I’ve never see a bull snake around RS except in town. But there’s a 3 mile stretch of rocky outcrops SE of RS that is full of rattlesnakes. Not too many venture there except the arrowhead hunters. Never walked that stretch in July and not see a rattlesnake. Also have never seen a human. Same place in sept or Oct and rarely if ever come across a snake.

Yep lots of Pygmy rattlesnakes by the gorge too. Get in some of those rocks and it doesn’t take but half an hour to find one if one chooses to do as much during summer.

Braaap

WKR
They’re pretty tasty. If you haven’t eaten rattlesnake I highly recommend it!