WY: Applied For and Drew Wrong Tag

Rock-o

WKR
Non-resident. Drew a Unit 84 Type 1 tag. Regulations specify "Any elk valid on private land...". If "returning" it is even an option it's not clear if my points can be restored. My intention was to get a General tag, so I'm not sure how I screwed that up, but I am where I am.

So, how do I go about finding and contacting a land owner to get access to use the tag? To be clear, I'm not looking to get a free ride.

Short of returning with point restoration or finding private access, can I donate to a non-profit for a needy person? Or is there another option I'm not aware of?

Thank you,
WY Elk Rookie making Rookie mistakes

EDIT:
I suppose maybe an outfitter can help. Now looking through https://wyoga.org/.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
^^^ yep, sorry bit chances of returning it will be small unless you have valid medical or other reason for not being able to hunt.

Talk with the biologist and GW in that area.

Maverick1

WKR
Well, you are kind of stuck with it. WY doesn’t really take tags back, as mentioned above. Either find private landowner, or donate it. Dang, that’s going to stink.

Have to ask: how many points did you burn?

Z Barebow

WKR
Unless you show G&F a death certificate (Yours), I suspect your points will not be returned. (Seriously, it has to be a major medical event before they allow tag return)

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Unless you show G&F a death certificate (Yours), I suspect your points will not be returned. (Seriously, it has to be a major medical event before they allow tag return)

I'm crying laughing mad. Kicking my own ass.

TaperPin

WKR
That area is full of good elk, often at relatively low elevation - unfortunately land owners aren’t giving away access for free and usually don’t like unknown people crawling around by themselves, so you probably will have to pay for a guide to ride around with until he points at an elk and says shoot that one. On the upper end you’ll be on horseback and eat and sleep at the ranch, or a traditional elk camp. On the low end, you’ll stay in a crappy cabin, provide your own food, one of the ranch kids will drive you out to a hay stack on a 4 wheeler, point a finger at an elk and say shoot that one - you back your pickup up to the haystack and cart your skin grocery bag home.

Nothing is inexpensive in that part of the state, so don’t be shocked when it’s not cheap.

That’s a real bummer - fairly easy elk hunting in many public land areas. You can just about pick any dark timber on the north slopes a few miles from trailheads and find elk.

jahaze

FNG
Wyoming does have a landowner access program. Look at their hunt planner map and see if there are any in your permit area. That might be your best option outside of talking with the local biologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
That’s rough. Wrong tag, private land in an area that is 95% public.

Maybe local wardens could provide a landowner name for you?? Tell them your whole story, maybe some will help out of sympathy for you.

WyoKimber

FNG
As a resident of Teton county I can tell you 1. private land access is pretty much impossible to come by in this part of the state, 2. there is very little actual huntable private land (i.e. not neighborhoods or little ranchettes) in 84. There may be 1 or 2 ranches along the hoback that could be big enough to have a decent hunt but they are probably owned by some billionaire. Unless an outfitter can get you access to one of the few ranches that actually could hold animals I would do everything you can to get rid of that tag. All of the elk are on the public land.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
It can't hurt to check what you submitted in case the error was theirs and not yours.
I checked immediately and the system shows I submitted what I drew. I didn't expect anything else, so I wasn't holding my breath. I simply messed up. I can't fathom how, but clearly I did.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
That’s rough. Wrong tag, private land in an area that is 95% public.

Maybe local wardens could provide a landowner name for you?? Tell them your whole story, maybe some will help out of sympathy for you.
I am absolutely going to do that, but I don't expect it to work... no sympathy for such a bone headed dumb ass mistake. Can't blame 'em.

Non-transferable, nonrefundable and your points are gone. I would try to find some access out there. 84 is nothing special so you might have some luck.

Mackey

FNG
Hire an outfitter. Somebody out there knows somebody who will sell you some private land access. Make the best of it. Go kill yourself a bull!