WTB a budget pack (Arcteryx Bora) $100-$150

I am in need of my first 5-7 day hunting pack. Would really like to buy a Kifaru, SG, MR, KUIU, EXO etc. but I have a 3 year old boy and my wife could go into labor any minute with a daughter! So, budget is a little tight. Through research I'm really liking the Arcteryx Bora, but I'm open to others. I'd really like to spend $100-$130, $150 for a great deal. Reason I need it now is to start hiking/Stair climbing to get ready for fall Elk. I'm 5'11" 180, 34" waist.
Thanks, Warren

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I bought my father an Arcteryx Bora 80 a few years back, but I am a good son and love my father so he uses my extra Kifaru now ;) So he may be willing to sell his Arcteryx Bora. Its a size small, so not sure if that will work on the sizing.

Check Ebay for a surplus USMC ruck. They are made by Arcteryx. Seen them for under 100 bucks. I used my crappier Army Molle ruck for years before i bought my MR. It worked fine.

OP
Warren1726
Check Ebay for a surplus USMC ruck. They are made by Arcteryx. Seen them for under 100 bucks. I used my crappier Army Molle ruck for years before i bought my MR. It worked fine.
Thanks oldskool. I have looked into those. Does anyone have any experience trimming those for weight?

tater

WKR
I have an original (Canadian made) Bora 80, and my Dad has a Gen II ILBE, so here are my observations:
The Gen II ILBE is almost identical to a Bora 80 (i've had both side by side), but the ILBE is made out of a heavier material (Cordura?), and has A LOT of extra webbing that can be trimmed.
Lid volume is also smaller on the ILBE, and it is missing the outer jacket pod (that i think the newer Bora's don't have either). The belt is slightly different as well.
If given a choice, i would look at the Bora over the ILBE (i love my Bora, and still use it from time to time).

A note about sizing: be sure to measure your torso as per Arc'Teryx website. We are the same height/waist size, but i am a Large/XL cusp.

OP
Warren1726
Is the Gen II ILBE sized? The eBay offerings don't list sizes. It does look like a good option, $70-100, though it is heavy. I'm thinking a pound or two could be cut off.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I came into an ILBE for free. With nothing to lose I started cutting stuff off over a period. Ended up cutting it down to the frame and was able to use my Hill People Gear Tarahumara as a compression panel on a dry bag. Didn't use it long before I got another pack is I can't say how good it is. Stumbled on a thread about cutting weight off these here https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum...sid=f7ef97dfd6802259a25d9d15e775c5c1&start=24.

OP
Warren1726
I came into an ILBE for free. With nothing to lose I started cutting stuff off over a period. Ended up cutting it down to the frame and was able to use my Hill People Gear Tarahumara as a compression panel on a dry bag. Didn't use it long before I got another pack is I can't say how good it is. Stumbled on a thread about cutting weight off these here https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum...sid=f7ef97dfd6802259a25d9d15e775c5c1&start=24.
Good link, thanks! Looks like getting the ILBE down to 7ish lbs is doable.

OP
Warren1726
So, in y'all's opinion is $80 a good price for a gen II ILBE in good condition? Also, I'm thinking, Kifaru long pockets on the sides would be good. Would they attach appropriatly?

OP
Warren1726
Hey thanks everybody. I'm picking up a Gen 2 ILBE for $60 total. I'm gonna try to modify it. Does anyone know if a Kifaru grab it will work?